Anybody used an ISA memory card with Linux?

Anybody used an ISA memory card with Linux?

Post by Eduardo Kaftans » Sat, 09 Oct 1993 06:33:38

        I have tried with absolutely no success to use an Everex 159
memory card with Linux. I got all kinds of Memory Fault errors, although
I could use the card with DOS with no problem. I had Checkit test the
board for a pair of hours with no errors... so at least it is not its
fault I guess.

        Anyway, I read about the Speed path for memory refresh times,
and thought maybe I could change some value in my kernel to sacrifice
some speed for RAM.

        Can anybody elaborate a little bit on this? I have not enough
knowledge in PC hardware to know what I'm doing in this area.

        Thanks for any answer...

--
Eduardo Kaftanski

Post by Steef S.G. de Brui » Tue, 12 Oct 1993 23:13:19

:       I have tried with absolutely no success to use an Everex 159
: memory card with Linux. I got all kinds of Memory Fault errors, although
: I could use the card with DOS with no problem. I had Checkit test the
: board for a pair of hours with no errors... so at least it is not its
: fault I guess.

[ stuff deleted ]

Sorry, can't help you on this, but I can say I used an Everex 159
3 MB expansion board under kernels .99pl6, .99pl12 and .99pl13 now,
without any problems...

Have you checked the card under clean DOS with the ev159 program
shipped with the card? (If you don't have it, I could mail you a copy :-)
Have you set the card to be all extended memory?

Does the card behave well under DOS? Maybe you didn't configure it well
(overlapping memory sections or so [two pieces of memory using te same
address]), I dunno.

Hope this helps,
Steef

1. using Linux with ISA ISDN card or ISDN modem

I have a small network at home consists of a box running Linux and two boxes
running Windows.  I would like to connect them to the Internet using ISDN and
have the linux box serve as a web server..

  I am think about getting an ISA ISDN adapter from 3Com.  The reason is I've
  been reading a lot about the limitation on PC's serial port affecting the
  performance of ISDN.  The question is I don't know if 3Com is the best adapter
  to buy and I didn't find any driver for linux that support this card.

  Another option I can go with is to put the 3Com in a 286 and run a route
  software on it.  That will solve the driver for linux problem.  But I am
  not familiar where to get the routing software.

  If these two option don't work, I guess I will have to buy the Ascend 50.

 I am open to other ideas as well.

 thanks in advance.

 shu

2. How to upgrade to new Slackware?

3. Free OS = excellent, BUT...

4. ISA ethernet card won't work--modprobe: out of memory?

5. DOS Client

6. MEMOPLUS REV A ISA MEMORY CARD INFO

7. Wireless LAN

8. Need info on ISA memory card MEMOPLUS

9. ISA ethernet card won't work--modprobe: out of memory?

10. ISA Memory card useless?

11. How to see memory used per user; memory used per process

12. ISA core vs. ISA card support