Problem 'su'ing to root from X

Post by Byron Hammon » Fri, 04 Jan 2002 21:02:02

When I su froma terminal in X, I get this error message
su
Password:
File size limit exceeded

I can su when not in X however...

I first noticed the problem after I tried downloading the debian iso.
I was unable to download the full thing, not because of a lack of hdd
space, but rather, some other problem

Here is the line that gets appended to my /var/log/loginlog
Date/Time Host su(pam_unix)[2106]: Session opened for user root[501]

I think this message also comes up in a few other logs as well.

Problem 'su'ing to root from X

Post by Michael E. Sto » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 01:02:41

I've had different problems with su under X and just switched to using
Sux and it solved all my problems.  You might try it.

Mike

> When I su froma terminal in X, I get this error message
> su
> Password:
> File size limit exceeded

> I can su when not in X however...

> I first noticed the problem after I tried downloading the debian iso.
> I was unable to download the full thing, not because of a lack of hdd
> space, but rather, some other problem

> Here is the line that gets appended to my /var/log/loginlog
> Date/Time Host su(pam_unix)[2106]: Session opened for user root[501]

> I think this message also comes up in a few other logs as well.

1. users su'ing to root: a problem

Hi,

I have a problem with su activity. Once root passwd gets out ( and it
does! ) any joey can do as they please ( and do ! ). Is it possible to
restrict the 'su -' to only specified users. We need the su facility
enabled because machines are administered remotely so I can't disable
that, but as a result anyone can su to root as they please. Also,
security is lapse but that just the way it is.

Thanks.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. ***how to burn mandrake 7.1 to CD***

3. Script for su'ing to root

4. All righty then

5. : su'ing to root changes shell to /bin/csh ???

6. cooledit-2.2.4

7. su'ing root

8. Dual monitors fault in sys boot

9. Unknown id: root but only while su'ing

10. What is the difference between 'login: root' and 'su -' ?

11. 'su ' vs. 'su -'

12. restrict use of 'su' or 'su -'