SUSE 7.1 turns off machine instead of booting?

SUSE 7.1 turns off machine instead of booting?

Post by Annali » Tue, 11 Feb 2003 14:48:55

This may sound a bit screwy, but I suppose this is what I get for
ignoring my Linux machine for a bit...

I turn the computer on, it boots, goes to screen w/boot options.
(linux, suse, or memory test).  If I choose memory test, it runs the
memory test no problem; if I choose one of the others or let it time
out to default, the screen goes black, flashes a couple lines of text
at the top of the screen, too fast to read, then the monitor light
goes yellow (to indicate nothing running attached to hit), but I can
still hear the drive going...

I let it wait, nothing else ever happens...

Anyone have thoughts for me at all? I'd really appreciate it.

thanks!

annalisa

SUSE 7.1 turns off machine instead of booting?

Post by Jan Kar » Sun, 16 Feb 2003 00:20:45

Hi,

> memory test no problem; if I choose one of the others or let it time
> out to default, the screen goes black, flashes a couple lines of text
> at the top of the screen, too fast to read, then the monitor light
> goes yellow (to indicate nothing running attached to hit), but I can
> still hear the drive going...

uh ... sounds like some problem with your graphics adapter ... some
ideas:

Boot a rescue system from the original SuSE cd. Does it do the same?
If so, tell it to boot in normal vga (text) mode instead of graphical
mode. If that works, mount your local linux drive and edit
/etc/lilo.conf to use the normal vga mode (insert "vga = normal" in
the global section or edit any existing vga=... line respectively).

It might even be possible to give lilo the "vga=normal" option at
bootup, though I'm not sure. Given your default label is "linux", try
typing "linux vga=normal".

Another thing you might want to try is to stop the text scrolling when
still possible by pressing Scroll Lock on your keyboard and check if
there is anything interesting there (you can use Shift+PageUp/PageDown
for scrolling)

Hope this helps,

Jan

1. NFS mount error while booting in SuSE 7.1/Kernel 2.4.0

Hi

I added the following lines to my /etc/fstab

# nfs mount hppavilion /home file system
# make sure it is listed in /etc/exports in hppavilion
hppavilion:/home /hppavilion/home nfs  rw,rsize=8192,wsize=8192 0 0

and I get the following warning/error while booting..

Importing Net File System (NFS)lockdsvc: Invalid argument
 done

The NFS mounted file system seems to work fine. Should
I be concerned?

Also, are there any things to watch out while using
same /home in two different machines through NFS
mount.

Thanks for any help..

2. Help w/ CHAT error code handling in scripts. HELP!

3. Suse personal 7.1 krnl 2.2.18, hda lost interrupt - no boot.

4. Netrek paradise client uploaded to sunsite

5. Suse 7.1 boot CD #1

6. blocking CTRL-Z and CTRL-C

7. Problems with 53c8xx when booting SuSE 7.1

8. Transporting files using cpio

9. Suse: How I stop booting to GUI mode in 7.1

10. suse 7.1 wont boot

11. Turning Off xdm on SuSE 5.2/KDE - How??

12. xp, rh8, suse 7.1 triple boot

13. My machine wont turn off