AUTO UP/DOWN OF DIP for my computers tele line ($)

AUTO UP/DOWN OF DIP for my computers tele line ($)

Post by Robert Morr » Wed, 05 Jan 1994 12:32:16

I'm like to be able to connect to remote locations on
the internet via my dial up slip connection (I use
dip).  I can do this now, but it is annoying.
First, I have to start dip and then I can use ftp, telnet,
etc.  I pay $1.50 an hour for my internet link.  That
beats long distance, but can still really add up over
a month's time.  As a result of this charge I have
to remember to kill -9 <dip id> after I am done.  If
I forget the $1.50 / hour keeps adding up.

I can
1)  Take the chance that I won't forget to kill -9
2)  Make the modem speaker stay on when dip is running
    so that I won't forget
        (this is very annonying, but sure to be cheap)

3)  Make the modem hangup after a certain period of inactivity.
    But then I still have to start up dip before I try
    to ftp or telnet again.

Other systems (I believe) have a mechanism to bring up the
line on-demand (automatically) when programs attempt to
communicate via TCP/IP - and then bring the IP line back
down after the activity stops.  This would be primo.

I don't think this can be done under Linux.  Could people
tell me if I'm right?  If I'm wrong, I'd really like to know.
I've chosen to keep my speaker on for now, but that can be
be extremely annoying to me (and my significant other).
Option #3 seems to be a wash for me and my modem also.

AUTO UP/DOWN OF DIP for my computers tele line ($)

Post by jinghua s » Thu, 13 Jan 1994 06:52:06

I am looking for MOTIF for free down load.  Please tell me if any body know it.
Thanks in advance.

Post by enrico badella (L. » Thu, 13 Jan 1994 16:28:41

>>I am looking for MOTIF for free down load.  Please tell me if any body know it.

>There is not free Motif at the moment.  It is a commercial product.  There
>are some folks working on a Motif drop-in replacement at the moment

*                                                                      *
*                    OSF/Motif 1.1 for Linux                           *
*                                                                      *
*                            Ported by                                 *
*                          Enrico Badella                              *
*                         Soft*Star s.r.l.                             *
*                         Via Camburzano 9                             *
*                           10143 Torino                               *
*                              ITALY                                   *
*                                                                      *

OSF/Motif 1.1 is finally available for Linux.

The distribution is BINARY ONLY and is NOT FREE because of OSF licensing
policy and royalty payment scheme.

I have organized the following distribution tree:

    bin:
    mwm*        uil*    xgen*

    include:
    Mrm/        Xm/     uil/

    lib:
    X11/        libMrm.a        libUil.a        libXm.a

    lib/X11:
    XKeysymDB   app-defaults/   config.Motif/   system.mwmrc

    demos:
    Imakefile    hellohebrew/   motifburger/    mre/            widgetView/
    Makefile     hellokanji/    motifburint/    periodic/       xmsamplers/
    dogs/        hellomotif/    motifgif/       periodickanji/
    fonts/       motifanim/     motifshell/     uilsymdump/

    xgenDemos:
    Example     Xgen.intro      dp.xbm          mtn.xbm
    README.EX   address.list    gnu.xbm

As you will probably have noted I have included all the demos released
by OSF and one non OSF applications; it is xgen, a very usefull tool
for creating graphical frontends to shell scripts or other Unix programs;

As I discover Motif based applications that are freely redistributable
I will include them in the release. There is no such thing as run-time
or development version; everything is included.

Everything is ready to run; you just have to load it on your Linux machine.
The obvious prerequisite is that you have a working X11 on your system.

The size of a gzip-ed tar distribution is about 7.5M. No OSF documentation
is included due to it's size and to the fact that it is easier to
purchase the Prentice-Hall books than printing it. Anyway if you really
want the original OSF PostScript docs we can make arrangements for including
it.

At the moment I have used three mediums to distribute the product
        1) QIC-24 tape
        2) ftp
        3) floppies (tar or DOS)

The first two (tape and ftp) are preferred due to the effort required
in producing floppies. The ftp method is probably the fastest since
all I need is a temporary account on your machine in order to upload
37 files of 204800 bytes each. From my location to any machine with a IP
address and a reasonable connection the transfer typically takes from 30
minutes to an hour.

The cost of OSF/Motif for Linux is $150 + POSTAGE. I can accept VISA
and Master cards. In case you choose a ftp distribution there is no postage,
but I will charge you a fixed $10 to cover my phone costs.
The postage costs for tape or floppies depend greatly on the destination
and the speed required. Simple AIR MAIL to USA is about $15, express mail
to Germany is DM 32 and a comparable price to the rest of Europe.

I can offer email, fax, phone (the order represents preference) support
for initial installation problems.

All the development was done using Linux SLS 1.01 on a 386 machine so
this should be a pretty standard platform.

If you have questions or are interested in purchasing OSF/Motif for Linux
please contact me at

        Soft*Star s.r.l
        Via Camburzano 9
        10143 Torino
        Italy

        phone +39-11-746092
        fax   +39-11-746487

Thank you for your patience.

* All trademarks are of whoever owns them                              *

Post by Warner Lo » Fri, 14 Jan 1994 02:36:25

Quote:(hamer kenneth) writes:
>There is not free Motif at the moment.  It is a commercial product.  There
>are some folks working on a Motif drop-in replacement at the moment
>called notif, but they just started so don't bug them unless you want to
>work on it.

If you are looking for an X toolkit that implements the Motif
interaction model fairly faithfully, you should take a look at OI.  It
is a C++ toolkit that offers multiple look and feels.  It has a higher
level of abstraction than OSF/Motif, enabling it to be easier to
progarm to than Xm/Xt.  On Linux it is even free and comes with a GUI
builder (that is more than just a builder, and ultra configurable to
boot).

You can find OI in tsx-11.mit.edu:pub/linux/packages/OI/oi40.tar.

OI does not implement the Motif API (which is why it is much easier to
program in it).

Another alternative is Tk, which has a much poorer implementation of
Motif, but should suit the needs of hobbists.  It is based on tcl and
can be found on tsx-11 somewhere (don't have a recent index to tell
you).

OSF/Motif is also purchasable from various places on the net.

Warner

P.S.  I'm slightly biased, because I cowrote the interface builder for OI.
--

I've almost finished my brute force solution to subtlety.

Post by Bill C. Rieme » Fri, 14 Jan 1994 02:50:48

>The cost of OSF/Motif for Linux is $150 + POSTAGE. I can accept VISA
>and Master cards. In case you choose a ftp distribution there is no postage,
>but I will charge you a fixed $10 to cover my phone costs.
>The postage costs for tape or floppies depend greatly on the destination
>and the speed required. Simple AIR MAIL to USA is about $15, express mail
>to Germany is DM 32 and a comparable price to the rest of Europe.

Why would anyone want to buy the "demo" version for $150, when the works is
available for $200?

                                      Bill

AUTO UP/DOWN OF DIP for my computers tele line ($)

Post by enrico badella (L. » Fri, 14 Jan 1994 16:51:57

Quote:>>The cost of OSF/Motif for Linux is $150 + POSTAGE. I can accept VISA

>Why would anyone want to buy the "demo" version for $150, when the works is
>available for $200?

>                                      Bill

Before following up an article you should be sure you read it
carefully and *UNDERSTOOD* everyting you read

Post by Jan Newmar » Sun, 16 Jan 1994 03:29:23

>(hamer kenneth) writes:
>>There is not free Motif at the moment.  It is a commercial product.  There
>>are some folks working on a Motif drop-in replacement at the moment
>>called notif, but they just started so don't bug them unless you want to
>>work on it.
>If you are looking for an X toolkit that implements the Motif
>interaction model fairly faithfully, you should take a look at OI.  It
>is a C++ toolkit that offers multiple look and feels.  It has a higher
>level of abstraction than OSF/Motif, enabling it to be easier to

Another alternative is tclMotif. This uses the real Motif libraries, but
instead of programming in C you program in tcl, which is another way of
making things easier. The binaries for this are on sunsite under
/pub/Linux/devel/tcl and also on tsx-11.mit.edu. The files are in
tclMotif.1.0.Linux.binary.tar.Z

                                                Jan
--
  Jan Newmarch, Information Science and Engineering,
  University of Canberra, PO Box 1, Belconnen, Act 2616