? setting node name for uname -n

Post by Garry W. Forg » Sun, 24 Jul 1994 11:16:00

Im trying to get slip running with dip and when
i enter dip -t, I just get "(none): Host name lookup failure"

I think that gethostname in dip calls uname so this
is where it gets "none".  I have /etc/hosts entries.
How do I get uname to report the name of this machine.
Executing hostname xxxxx does not do it either.

Thanks for quick answer.

1. Setting node name

I have found out in the HOWTOs and other docs how to set the hostname
of the machine.  The hostname command works fine, and the HOSTNAME file
is OK.  I need to set the node name, ie what is returned with
uname -n
currently it says (none) and so in our login with slackware 1.0 says
(none) login:

The getty man page says that putting the line
SYSTEM=nodename

will return the current node name.  It doesn't seem to make any
difference.  Also have tried using the file /etc/default/getty but this
didn't work either.

I bet this has a simple solution, but for the life of me I can't figure
it out.  Thanks for any assistance.
--
Tony Miller

http://~www.cs.clemson.edu/~tmiller.html

2. Can't remotely connect anymore :-(

3. How to recover an application node and an ADSM node into one node?

4. Reasonably Secure Dialup Linux Workstation

5. m/c name and node name

6. Q: Any OSX IRC clients?

7. cd /bin; ./uname -i; /bin/uname -i different result?

8. ANNOUNCE: Nautilus 1.0a Secure Phone Software

9. Uname System Name vs Node Name are equal? [SCO 3.2v4.2]

10. uname -m and model name/number

11. changing system name (uname -S not valid)

12. system name (uname)