Redhat 8.0 won't resolve names

Post by Bill » Sun, 06 Apr 2003 04:52:52

I have set up my first linux machine with Redhat 8.0 and an IBM token
ring card.  All the servers are NT 4.0.  I have managed it get it to
join a domain and can ping ip's in the domain but not names.  Same for
websites (can go to http://216.239.33.100 but not
http://www.google.com).  I have set up my primary and secondary dns
servers but can't ping them.  The DNS servers are outside our local
lan on a 147.x.x.x where as the linux box is a 198.x.x.x.  I have
enabled wins in smb.conf and am stuck.  Like I said this is my first
linux box so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Bill T.

Redhat 8.0 won't resolve names

Post by ynotsso » Sun, 06 Apr 2003 05:05:51

Quote:> I have set up my first linux machine with Redhat 8.0 and an IBM token
> ring card.  All the servers are NT 4.0.  I have managed it get it to
> join a domain and can ping ip's in the domain but not names.  Same for
> websites (can go to http://216.239.33.100 but not
> http://www.google.com).  I have set up my primary and secondary dns
> servers but can't ping them.  The DNS servers are outside our local
> lan on a 147.x.x.x where as the linux box is a 198.x.x.x.  I have
> enabled wins in smb.conf and am stuck.  Like I said this is my first
> linux box so any help will be greatly appreciated.

In /etc/resolv.conf :

    nameserver  147.x.x.x
    nameserver  147.x.x.y
    search  your.domain

In /etc/nsswitch.conf :

    hosts:      files dns

and that should resolve the issue.

           tony

--
use hotmail.com for any email replies

Post by Eric L » Fri, 11 Apr 2003 03:31:05

> > I have set up my first linux machine with Redhat 8.0 and an IBM token
> > ring card.  All the servers are NT 4.0.  I have managed it get it to
> > join a domain and can ping ip's in the domain but not names.  Same for
> > websites (can go to http://216.239.33.100 but not
> > http://www.google.com).  I have set up my primary and secondary dns
> > servers but can't ping them.  The DNS servers are outside our local
> > lan on a 147.x.x.x where as the linux box is a 198.x.x.x.  I have
> > enabled wins in smb.conf and am stuck.  Like I said this is my first
> > linux box so any help will be greatly appreciated.

> In /etc/resolv.conf :

>     nameserver  147.x.x.x
>     nameserver  147.x.x.y
>     search  your.domain

> In /etc/nsswitch.conf :

>     hosts:      files dns

> and that should resolve the issue.

>            tony

if powered by dhcp, do you know how hostname be resolved?

dhcp-1061-200

 I almost only find the string in the
/var/lib/dhcp/dhclient-eth0.leases

my /etc/nsswitch.conf's hosts  : files, nis, dns

tht hostname is not what I want, that probably is the reason my
dynamic ip webserver(apache2 on redhat 8) not work, (connection
refused)

hope to see someone's help

1. Some DNS names won't resolve

I'm running SME server, which is built on Redhat 7.3. It is a
self-contained, small-business solution and has been working well for
us.

Recently, we hired an outside accountant and now we've begun to notice
problems. We can't send e-mail to him because our DNS server can't
locate his DNS servers and find an MX record for his company. All the
other sites we work with have given us no trouble.

I would say the problem is on his end, but if I run dig against our
ISPs DNS or a freind's DNS, the names resolve immediately. It's just
this site and one other (Tracfone.com) that we can't resolve without
hosts entries, and that doesn't help much with MX lookups.

I've tried disabling all firewall rules, and still no dice. An ethereal
scan shows records being returned from the root servers for his
servers, but we just can't seem to connect to them on port 53 while
obviously other people do. I have run dig with a 30-second timeout
value and still get nothing.

What am I overlooking?

-RR

2. Writing 2+ gig files in Linux

3. Redhat 8.0: linux won't boot, both grub and lilo don't work

4. automatic logout in LinuxPPC ?

5. Desperate: Redhat 8.0 - hooked different monitor to it, won't work

6. URL cloaking in Apache

7. gnu/linux won't redial if the line was busy (Redhat 8.0)

8. System Security

9. Lexmark 1100 won't print under RedHat 8.0

10. Trouble installing redhat 8.0 - installer won't accept keyboard input

11. Named won't run - can't find named.conf

12. redhat 4.0 install, 'can't resolve symbol' errors...

13. Can linux resolve domain names via WINS?