Motif on Linux: How to compile?

Post by Avron Bore » Tue, 05 Apr 1994 03:52:14

I just downloaded 27MB of Motif source code via my university's site
license, but have no idea how to compile for Linux. If anyone has any
idea (or even better, first-hand experience) about how to go about it, I
would really appreciate some advice.

My configuration: running Linux 1.0, XFree86-2.1, gcc 2.5.8, pretty much
the standard slackware setup (installed from slackware 1.1, I think, but
have manually updated most of the system).  486/66DX, 16MB RAM, 16MB swap,
about 25MB left on my Linux partition...

Thanks!

Avron Boretz
Cornell University (Anthropology/East Asia Program)
Cornell Chinese-Japanese-Korean Computing and Database Facility
265 McGraw Hall
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853

1. Compiling Motif Prgms in Linux

Motif is _commercial_ software, so you have to buy it or forget it.

However, applications _statically_ linked with Motif libraries may be free software. So,
if you like the "look and feel" of Motif, you still can have some free applications.
(Mosaic is a good example).

There is a Motif clone under development by a group called "The Hungry Programmers" but
it is still in the early stages.

Mihai

2. PPP seems to connect, but nslookup, netstat -r hang

3. Wanted: Motif Libraries compiled for Linux PPC

4. one more email issue...

5. Compiling Motif for Linux

6. how to use exev?

7. Anyone get xmcd-1.4 to compile/run under linux, X11R6, Motif 2.0??

8. Clean your PC properly (a1xmuhv)

9. Anyone compiled Motif 2.0 with linux, XFree3.1, gcc 2.6.3?

10. How to compile Motif on linux

11. Suggestion needed to compile motif on redhat linux 3.0.3 system

12. Compile Motif on Linux

13. compiling motif 1.2.5 under linux