Listserv for Linux

Post by Ernie Oport » Mon, 13 Jun 1994 22:30:03

I recently downloaded the Listserv program for Linux.  It had some trouble
compiling, which appears to have been fixed.  I am having a little trouble
with it that may be related to this.

1) When compiling the commands.c source, I get a complaint about R_OK in
the access call from gcc.  This was fixed by adding #include <unistd.h>
to the listserv.h file since that is where the access call is.

2) When compiling str.c, I get problems with strcasecmp, strncasecmp, and
strstr functions.  Gcc says that they don't match the prototype.  I fixed
this by taking them out altogether, since string.h has those three functions
and string.h is already included in listserv.h.

3) After that, it all compiled fine, but I am unsure if where the new
binary goes.  I assume I am supposed to put it in /usr/spool/mail (the place
in my system where the mail files are) so that incoming mail tries to get
written into the binary.  This tells me the file cannot be written.  I have
also put it in /usr/spool/mail/bin, as the Makefile suggests, but when I run
the listserv binary, it doesn't disappear into the background.  Sending mail
to listserv just yields additions to the listserv file in /usr/spool/mail
for the user 'listserv'.

That brings me to another question...should I have a user listserv for the
mail to arrive to?  If I don't, the mail is never delivered to listserv.
*Where* should the binary go.  The documentation for making and installing
this didn't seem to hold my hand enough for me to do it. =)

I'm wondering if any of the changes I made above may be keeping it
from working right.  Can anyone tell me how they did it?
--- Ernie "Shokk" Oporto

Listserv for Linux

Post by Ernie Oport » Sat, 18 Jun 1994 03:58:28

I got this far so far:
    If I do a "mail | /usr/spool/mail/listserv", then I can edit and
postmaster will get the help file (hey, it's getting somewhere =).

     Elm does not want to use the "| /usr/spool/mail/listserv" alias for
"listserv" that I defined for it to pipe the mail to the listserv binary.

     If I do "cat thing | /usr/spool/mail/listserv", where "thing" is a
valid mail file that says HELP in it, then a HELP file for listserv will be
mailed to my account, but that aint the way it's supposed to work. =) Does
*anyone* have this working right!??!?!
--- Ernie "Shokk" Oporto

1. Listserv under Linux

I am trying to set-up a listserv package on a Linux-based machine, and am
having difficulty.  Anyone want to earn $100 by helping me out with this?
The difficulty I'm having is arising during the make routine.

4. 486SLC?? Work with Linux? How to compile as 386?

5. Listserv on Linux

6. Hercules needs help

7. Listserv for Linux

8. lmule debian package