Can't get WD AC2700 EIDE drive to work

Post by Phil Forre » Fri, 02 Dec 1994 16:08:54

Help!

I just downloaded the latest slackware release and now I can't get fdisk
to work correctly.  It wont recognize my dos partition and gives errors
about logical locations and physical locations not matching..

I tried to follow the EIDE.TXT instructions that came with slackware, but
to no avail..

One thing I noticed is that my CMOS settings were correct for the drive, not
the trick numbers explained in the EIDE.TXT file...

Thanks in advance from a frustrated linux installer..

Dave Bauer

Post by Steve Sherwo » Fri, 02 Dec 1994 20:21:54

>Help!
>I just downloaded the latest slackware release and now I can't get fdisk
>to work correctly.  It wont recognize my dos partition and gives errors
>about logical locations and physical locations not matching..
>I tried to follow the EIDE.TXT instructions that came with slackware, but
>to no avail..
>One thing I noticed is that my CMOS settings were correct for the drive, not
>the trick numbers explained in the EIDE.TXT file...

hmm.. I have an AC2700 and a CMD EIDE drive, and apart from the combo
being slow (1.8Mb/s) , it works seemlessly in linux.

fdisk did complain the same as yours.. but everything seems to work,
including a 70Mb DOS partiton on the same drive mounted as /dos.

you do have an EIDE controller ?

Steve
--

O---------------------------------+-------------------------O Micro Focus Ltd
| Just like Pariah I have no name | He's dead jim...        | 23, West Street
| Living in a blaze of obscurity  | You grab his tricorder, | Newbury
| Need courage to survive the day | I'll get his wallet     | Berkshire
O---------------------------------+-------------------------O England
         (A)bort (R)etry (I)nfluence with large hammer

Post by Kent Perri » Sun, 04 Dec 1994 03:47:20

>Help!
>I just downloaded the latest slackware release and now I can't get fdisk
>to work correctly.  It wont recognize my dos partition and gives errors
>about logical locations and physical locations not matching..
>I tried to follow the EIDE.TXT instructions that came with slackware, but
>to no avail..

I have the same drive. If you partitioned your hard drive with the software
that came with the drive then you will have to reformat it using dos fdisk.
The way to tell is if when you boot dos you get the On-Track software
banner.

If you formatted your hard drive using dos fdisk and you get these errors,
then I don't know what is wrong.

Kent Perrier

Corporations don't have opinions, people do.  These are mine.
PGP 2.6 Public Key available by request
PGP encrypted mail welcome!

Post by Walter Schusse » Sun, 04 Dec 1994 05:41:29

>>Help!

>I have the same drive. If you partitioned your hard drive with the software
>that came with the drive then you will have to reformat it using dos fdisk.
>The way to tell is if when you boot dos you get the On-Track software
>banner.

>If you formatted your hard drive using dos fdisk and you get these errors,
>then I don't know what is wrong.

My WD Caviar 2700 came pre-formatted and installed. When booting DOS,
something like 'WD Direct Drive Overlay' popped up...

Also gave me lots of problem when trying to install Linux. I also
had to re-format with DOS-fdisk. After this, everything was OK.

If you have the same 'Overlay', get rid of it.

/Walter

1. HARD DRIVE WD CAVIAR AC2700 (LILO)

Hello, I need help to install LILO and to
have the same physical/logical address for
my partitions.

Message from fdisk :
====================
Disk /dev/hda1 : 16 heads, 63 sectors, 1416 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1008*512 bytes.

..

/dev/hda1   *    1     1     508    256000+   6   Dos 16-bits >32M
/dev/hda2      509   509     813    153720   83   Linux Native
/dev/hda3      814   814    1321    256032   83   Linux Native
Partition 3 has different physical/logical endings :
    phys=(1023,15,63) logical=(1320,15,63)
/dev/hda4     1024  1322    1415     47376   82   Linux Swap
Partition 4 has different physical/logical beginnings :
    phys=(1023,15,63) logical=(1321,0,1)
Partition 4 has different physical/logical endings :
    phys=(1023,15,63) logical=(1414,15,63)
Partition 4 does not start on cylinder boundary :
    phys=(1023,15,63) should be (1023,0,1)

Some information more :
=======================
I have installed the Linux system on the /dev/hda3
I have a unique harddisk Western Digital Caviar AC2700 (CMOS 696.9M)
and the Goldstar VL-Bus IDE & Super I/O..

Problems and questions :
========================
I have tried to install manually LILO wihtout success. The system is
always starting from DOS.
Can I do some think to change the physical address of one partition ?

Where is the mistake in general ?????

Thanks a lot for your attention.

Best regards,

Benoit Beck.

2. A couple of basic questions

3. WD EIDE won't read as 1st drive - HELP

4. Absolute Basic question Kerberos/LDAP

5. Can't install RHS Linux on 700-MB WD EIDE drive

6. where 2 read FreeBSD questions

7. Q: WD Caviar AC2700 - Installation question

8. popt-devel, libstdc++-devel and gettext-devel

9. Help on installing Linux on WD AC2700 HD

10. EIDE CD-ROM + EIDE 1280 WD HD + all kinds of shit

11. 1 gig WD drive, secondary EIDE controller, Summary info

12. Will WD 850 MB EIDE work with Linux?

13. HELP needed installing Linux on a WD 1.2G EIDE Hard Drive