LILO Help w/ 2 drives DOS / Linux

Post by Robert Si » Wed, 23 Mar 1994 09:03:37

Okay.  I'm a laYmer for asking this, but I HATE reading documentation....
especially when its as poorly written as the LILO dox.

Anyways, I have 2 IDE drives in my system.  #1 (master) has dos 6.2 installed
on it and IS bootable.  That is the only thing on that drive (partition).

Drive #2 (slave) has Linux v1.0 (Slackware) installed and IS bootable as well
using either LILO or the boot disk.  Problem is, LILO will just zip right on
past DOS and load Linux right on top -- which would be fine...but it makes
it difficult to get to DOS that way (I know, I know..  yech..  but its still
a necessary evil).  I can do a fdisk /mbr and remove LILO and DOS boots
up fineand if I use the boot disk, Linux boots up fine.  Everythings groovy
except I *know* that Lilo supports multiple boots.  Unfortunately the DOX are
like MAJORLY ambiguous when it comes to this.  So instead of hacking around,
I thought I'd throw it at a few thousand people first.

Essentially all I want to know is how do I set up LILO to provide multiple
boots for multiple OSs.

|:| Robert Sink              | "I don't want  to start  any blasphemous |:|

|:|--------------------------|  sense of humor and when I die  I expect |:|
|:| (c) 1994 Gurkware, Inc.  |  to find him laughing."  -- Depeche Mode |:|
         *PGP 2.3a Public Key Available By Fingering This Account*

1. HELP:2 IDE dos drives + 1 SCSI linux drive + LILO

I have 2 IDE hard disks (hda & hdb) devoted to DOS on the primary controller of
an EIDE bus.
I have a SCSI drive (sda) I want to put linux on. According to the mini-HOWTO the
linux root partition must be on 1 of the 2 IDE drives. But the doc was written
(it appears) before EIDE. Is there any way I can put LILO on the MBR
of /dev/hda  and choose to boot DOS from hda or linux from sda ?
I've got an ASUS P55SP4 with award BIOS (which does not, apparently,
permit booting directly from a SCSI device).
If the answer is no (with LILO) can someone recommend another boot manager?
Thanx,
Art.

2. "text file busy" error when trying to overwrite pages

3. Help me booting Dos from the second hard drive (LILO)!

4. Help with mcopy

5. HELP! LILO screwed up my DOS drive!!!

6. stderr is not constant?

7. Help me booting Dos from the second hard drive (LILO)!

8. newbie smooth install

9. Lilo Help: How do I default Lilo to Dos Partition?

11. LILO error: Can only boot from floppy, LILO will only start dos not linux

12. LILO: Linux + DOS-W311 + DOS/W95-Upgrade

13. Disk Manager, Linux, Lilo and DOS- HELP, PLEASE