unresolved dependencies after recompiling kernel

unresolved dependencies after recompiling kernel

Post by jumpstation.co.u » Tue, 16 Apr 2002 04:54:55

hi, any advise/suggestions welcome.

Debian 2.2r2 (Read: kernel 2.2.18) P200/80mb/6gig[ide]/isa nic+pci nic

Installed from official CD sources ages ago, now I need IP Masquerading
support sooooo,
make menuconfig (ensuring modules support is in as well as everything else I
need)
make dep
make clean
make bzlilo
make modules
make modules_install

all seems fine the kernel and system map are copied to / and this is where
lilo.conf expects to find them

but when booting all hell breaks loose with what looks like every module
possible giving an 'unresolved symbol' error.
Apart from modules the system seems otherwise fine, only problem is my odd
network card is module.
Note that the sound modules DO show up with lsmod

with depmod -a I get the unresolved symbols(for every entry, usualy about
5-6 per module) as
(SomeVariableName_)R(SomeRandomHexNumber)
Sorry, without network card working I can not post the details :(

I have tried recompiling with and without SMP and module version flag plus
various others.

Also deleted the modules folder so it is recreated at the make
module_install and when all else fails
make mrproper to really clean things out.

What can I do now ? I feel sure its is sym link some where pointing to the
wrong place but the fact erverything else works I do not know what to check.

unresolved dependencies after recompiling kernel

Post by jumpstation.co.u » Tue, 16 Apr 2002 05:48:43

Quote:> hi, any advise/suggestions welcome.

> Debian 2.2r2 (Read: kernel 2.2.18) P200/80mb/6gig[ide]/isa nic+pci nic

> Installed from official CD sources ages ago, now I need IP Masquerading
> support sooooo,
> make menuconfig (ensuring modules support is in as well as everything else
> need)
> make dep
> make clean
> make bzlilo
> make modules
> make modules_install

> all seems fine the kernel and system map are copied to / and this is where
> lilo.conf expects to find them

> but when booting all hell breaks loose with what looks like every module
> possible giving an 'unresolved symbol' error.
> Apart from modules the system seems otherwise fine, only problem is my odd
> network card is module.
> Note that the sound modules DO show up with lsmod

> with depmod -a I get the unresolved symbols(for every entry, usualy about
> 5-6 per module) as
> (SomeVariableName_)R(SomeRandomHexNumber)
> Sorry, without network card working I can not post the details :(

> I have tried recompiling with and without SMP and module version flag plus
> various others.

> Also deleted the modules folder so it is recreated at the make
> module_install and when all else fails
> make mrproper to really clean things out.

> What can I do now ? I feel sure its is sym link some where pointing to the
> wrong place but the fact erverything else works I do not know what to
check.

I after much time on google groups (finding many unanswered simular problems
and trying all sorts of half baked ideas)
I finally realised that is was WHERE, not what I was doing with the kernel.

The documentaion I followed asked you to unpack the kernel source into
/usr/src/kernel/kernel-versionnumber
and then sym link it to
/usr/src/kernel/linux
which I did and was not quite right.

I should have put it all in

/usr/src/linux

and in the end I just sym linked that to
/usr/src/kernel/kernel-versionnumber

had to do a
make mrproper
and use my backed up .config file
but it works a treat with
depmod -ae
totaly clean

I was also have problems with the pci-scan.o module(and others) I compiled
but once I
told it to use
/usr/src/linux
instead of the other place it insmod'ed fine !!

now, just to get IP Masquerading to setup :)

1. Kernel recompiles, Zip disks and module dependency woes

I started off with RH5.0. Everything worked fine[1] out of the box.
Then I decided I needed to recompile the kernel to add support for a ZIP
drive, sound, and specify a pentium.
I downloaded 2.0.32.tar.gz and unpacked it in the right place.
So after a bit of reading and ploughing through the various HOWTOs and
READMEs I recompiled according to the instructions. I had one or two
minor glitches that took a bit of thinking to get round but got a
working kernel (running now).
kerneld is running fine.

It boots ok [2] but when is starts checking module dependencies I get a
long list uf unresolved symbols.
It sees two SCSI adaptors, ppa on the parallel port (thats good) as
scsi0 and the IDE SCSI adaptor. [3] as scsi 1 but doesn't give a count
of total SCSI devices detected (devices detected: devices instead of :0
devices or : 1 device).

The ZIP drive cannot be found. I cannot mount or fdisk or anything like
that to /dev/sda or /dev/sdb and if I try to insmod ppa it comes up with
a device busy error.

Can anybody help me firstly with the module dependencies and secondly
with the ZIP Drive (ZIP 100).

thanks in advance,

..d

[1] for suitable valuse of fine.
[2] it doesn't crash.
[3] This was needd otherwise the kernel wouldn't compile.

2. XFree86 on a ThinkPad A21p

3. Module dependency check problem after kernel recompile

4. Seeking Unix Calendar/Scheduling Software

5. recompile of kernel leads to unresolved modules ???

6. Solaris limits.h question

7. recompiling kernel keep getting unresolved symbols

8. IPchains, IPtable and so and so on!

9. unresolved symbol(s) after recompiled kernel !

10. unresolved symbols in modules after kernel recompile

11. unresolved symbols after kernel recompile

12. unresolved symbols in modules after kernel recompile

13. need to recompile ftape: recompile kernel too?