Getting Xterm to understand IBM ANSI graphic characters?

Getting Xterm to understand IBM ANSI graphic characters?

Post by Devon Tu » Sat, 19 Feb 1994 09:36:26

Ok, the color_xterm program (The version of Xterm which was modified to
respond to ANSI color and text changes) works great...  But since I use
Seyon to talk to BBS's which commonly use the graphic characters to do some
fancy graphics like boxes and diagrams on the screen, what I need is either:
  1)  An X font which is similar to the extended character set which IBM and
      Apple Macintoshes expect to contain corners, boxes, cross lines, etc.

  2)  I noticed by doing an "xfd -fn 10x20" that the standard "Fixed" character
      sets have international characters where the ANSI BBS's expect these
      graphic drawing characters.  So my interim solution is to remap specific
      international characters to the graphic characters using XTerm X
      resources, so that when the Xterm window (spawned by Seyon) receives
      these (ranging from ascii decimal 170 to 200 or so) it replaces them
      with numbers down in the 10 to 20 range.
           So does anybody have pre-set character code mapping for any of the
      standard X fonts that makes the international character sets look more
      like the ANSI IBM extended character set?

  3)  I know you can set eightBitOutput false so that 128 is subtracted from
      any incoming character code before being printed, but I don't think
      that is sthe solution because at least for this particular "ANSI" bbs
      I was using to reverse engineer the mappings, they seemed to range fromm
      186 to 196 difference between the character code values, but I could
      have chosen wrong...

  4)  Is there a document on the supported resources for color_xterm?  I have
      no manual page on it.

Thanks!
    Devon Tuck

Post by Eduard Marghid » Sat, 19 Feb 1994 12:09:21

[...]

        Sorry, but #1 is the only one I have for you. You should ftp
to qdeck.com, login anonymous, cd to /pub/dvx/fonts and mget
xfonts-pc.*. The zip file contains a series of BDF files that have all
the extended ASCII set, and can be converted to X server format with
/usr/bin/X11/bdftopcf. Ignore the e-mail I sent you, this file contains
all of the fonts available.
Eduard
--
/********************************************
 * Eduard Marghidan   88

 *******************************************/

1. Display IBM ansi characters on Linux

I am new on Linux but I use too SCO UNIX
I have made a program on SCO UNIX witch displays characters IBM ansi,
but it does not work well on Linux ( the semi-graphical characters are
not the same )

Do you know the way to configure the screen on Linux who look like than
SCO UNIX.

I have tried setterm -term ansi but it did'nt give any change.

Thanks for your reply.

2. oops. proc table is full

3. Graphics characters using xterm

4. screen output gone for virtual consoles

5. xterm with extended ibm character set?

6. backup Suse System to tape using standard utilities question

7. Printing IBM characters in an xterm

8. Sending peridoic output to other than root?

9. Character set assigments (Re: How do I display IBM PC characters?)

10. Ansi Color Xterm Problems

11. rookie Q: How come that my xterm does not understand my keyboard?

12. ANSI control characters

13. ANSI patch for color xterm