Help..FTP and Telnet Service

Post by Shaw » Wed, 04 Jun 1997 04:00:00

i have hed redhat 4.2 up and running for a good while now without a
problem. All of a sudden I cannot ftp in or out of the machine. I get
the service not available on the box and trying to get in connection
refused. All other newtwork services are up and
running..http,sendmail,etc.. Any ideas?

Thanks!!!

Help..FTP and Telnet Service

Post by Dirk Geschk » Wed, 04 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> i have hed redhat 4.2 up and running for a good while now without a
> problem. All of a sudden I cannot ftp in or out of the machine. I get
> the service not available on the box and trying to get in connection
> refused. All other newtwork services are up and
> running..http,sendmail,etc.. Any ideas?

Look into your /etc/inetd.conf. There should be a line like this:

ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/in.ftpd       in.ftpd

and the ftp service must be in /etc/services:

ftp             21/tcp

Don't forget to look into /etc/ftpusers. All users mentioned in this
file aren't allowed to log into the system via ftp.

Dirk.

Help..FTP and Telnet Service

Post by Tim C » Wed, 11 Jun 1997 04:00:00

  go check out the /etc/services file, and see if the ftpd is commented
out.  That is what the message usually is caused by, also see if you can do
it as root.

CyA
 Tim
--

Quote:> i have hed redhat 4.2 up and running for a good while now without a
> problem. All of a sudden I cannot ftp in or out of the machine. I get
> the service not available on the box and trying to get in connection
> refused. All other newtwork services are up and
> running..http,sendmail,etc.. Any ideas?

> Thanks!!!

Help..FTP and Telnet Service

Post by [Mas » Wed, 11 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Try Checking the /etc/inetd.conf file ... make sure that the services
you want are available... then restart the inetd service ..
kill -HUP ####

Maso

Quote:>i have hed redhat 4.2 up and running for a good while now without a
>problem. All of a sudden I cannot ftp in or out of the machine. I get
>the service not available on the box and trying to get in connection
>refused. All other newtwork services are up and
>running..http,sendmail,etc.. Any ideas?

>Thanks!!!

Help..FTP and Telnet Service

Post by Webmast » Thu, 19 Jun 1997 04:00:00

says...

>Try Checking the /etc/inetd.conf file ... make sure that the services
>you want are available... then restart the inetd service ..
>kill -HUP ####

>Maso

>>i have hed redhat 4.2 up and running for a good while now without a
>>problem. All of a sudden I cannot ftp in or out of the machine. I get
>>the service not available on the box and trying to get in connection
>>refused. All other newtwork services are up and
>>running..http,sendmail,etc.. Any ideas?

>>Thanks!!!

Do you have the commands to kick off the servers commented out in your
/etc/inetd.conf file? If the telnet and ftp lines (which are right after
each other on mine) have a # sign in front, they aren't getting started.

Don

1. Long delay in telnet and ftp service, pls help!!

Hi world,

I have to install a Linux 5.1 in my company, and I have a NT network,
let me explain details below :

NT PDS : IP address : 192.1.10.1, Netmask : 255.255.255.0, Gateway :
192.1.10.5
NT BDS : IP address : 192.1.10.2, Netmask : 255.255.255.0, Gateway :
192.1.10.5, start  the DHCP
                 and DNS server service in network
LINUX  :  eth0 : 192.1.10.5, Netmask : 255.255.255.0, Gateway :
192.1.10.5
                  eth1 : 202.1.10.1, Netmask : 255.255.255.0. Gateway :
202.1.10.1
                   I have point the NameServer to 192.1.10.2.

When I use the other machine to telnet to 192.1.10.5(it has a temp IP
address from DHCP), the login prompt is delay around 1min, I have edit
the hosts.allow and smb.conf that ALL HOST ALLOW. Can you tell me what's
go on?

Please send me back a E-mail, and thanks foryour kindly attention,
Thanks!!

2. Disallow WWW using IP Masq?

3. HELP: telnet: tcp/telnet: unknown service

4. kde3 and evil genius

5. ftp/telnet open processes lagging ftp/telnet startup

6. pkgdb -F problem

7. XDM with Linux

8. Services requiring authentication (i.e. telnet, ftp) not working

9. telnet and ftp server service

10. problem to use Linux services - ftp, telnet

11. telnet and FTP services

12. Making services available (FTP/TELNET/HTTP)