Emacs of SLS 1.03 won't run

Post by Jim Wrig » Mon, 01 Nov 1993 19:33:39

>Hello out there,
>  I have a 386 machine with 4 MB Memory and without coprocessor. I run
>Linux in bare mode (I don't use XWindows). Version SLS-1.02 ran without
>any problems. Now I installed SLS-1.03 and discovered that Emacs doesn't
>run any more. After I start emacs it tells me something like "segmentation
>error" and dumps a core. I tried to run it with -nw option (which forces
>emacs not to use X-mode) but it did not make any difference. What do I need
>to do?

>Thanks for reading, Leif.

I got two versions of emacs with SLS 1.03, one of which will not run under X
and one which will. In fact the first does not run at all, but the second runs
both under X and otherwise.

If you can find another emacs binary in an X windows package and replace the
original with this your problem should go away. If you can't find it mail
me and I will look at my /install/installed files to see where I got it from.
Can't do that this minute cos I'm under DOS.

--
Jim Wright

Emacs of SLS 1.03 won't run

Post by P. David Gardn » Tue, 02 Nov 1993 02:00:58

: If you can find another emacs binary in an X windows package and replace the
: original with this your problem should go away. If you can't find it mail
: me and I will look at my /install/installed files to see where I got it from.
: Can't do that this minute cos I'm under DOS.

Naw, it doesn't have to be that much work.  If he didn't install X, he can
simply do an install of the library from the X1 disk and then emacs will
run just fine.

Dave Gardner

1. DOSEMU 0.49 won't compile under SLS 1.03 ???

I wonder if someone could help me with compiling DOSEMU 0.49... I have had
it compiled before, and would like to do so again.  However, I have
removed the source tree from my first compile, leaving only the
executables.  Now I don't have a working makefile anymore.

I downloaded the sources from tsx-11 (or was is sunsite?  I forget) and
installed them, but when I have finished configuring it and try to
compile, it goes through all of the compiling up to the 'ld' command
(where I assume it links all of the *.o files together?  I'm not a C
programmer...), then it dies with the error message 'incorrect directory
for libipc' or some such.

Any suggestions?  I remember from the first time I compiled it that I got
this message, but I don't recall the procedure to fix it...  Something
about editing a line in the Makefile, I think.

Thanks in advance,
Rob

2. who can tell me the relationship between the size of main memory and the swap partion.

3. GHOSTSCRIPT won't preview under vgalib - SLS 1.03

4. Truetype fonts in XFree86-4.1.0_4

5. SLS 1.03 talk won't work!

6. wtmp file reduced to 0

7. : SLS 1.03 won't boot: Error on Ramdisk at sector 1200

8. help with .exrc

9. Which Emacs Ver on SLS 1.03?

10. Emacs and SLS 1.03

11. 'freq' util for Stealth core dumps under SLS 1.03

12. Xterm control keys are 'dumb' (SLS 1.03)

13. no 'shutdown' in SLS 1.03 ?