Why emacs 19.23 can not load ispell in LINUX?

Why emacs 19.23 can not load ispell in LINUX?

Post by Zhong Di » Wed, 10 Aug 1994 12:38:23

Hi, there:

I tried to use ispell in emacs, but emacs tells me:
        Problem starting ispell -see buffer *ispell*

then I looked at the *ispell* buffer, it reads:

U       Accept and add lowercase version to private dictionary.
0-n     Replace with one of the suggested words.
L       Look up words in system dictionary.
X       Write the rest of this file, ignoring misspellings,
        and start next file.
Q       Quit immediately.  Asks for confirmation.
        Leaves file unchanged.
!       Shell escape.
^L      Redraw screen.
^Z      Suspend program.
?       Show this help screen.
Process ispell killed

How to fix this problem? I use ispell version 3.09

I apprecaite your help.

Zhong Ding

Post by Al Longye » Thu, 11 Aug 1994 04:49:15

>Hi, there:
>I tried to use ispell in emacs, but emacs tells me:
>    Problem starting ispell -see buffer *ispell*
>Process ispell killed
>How to fix this problem? I use ispell version 3.09

Get ispell-3.1.08 from ftp.cs.ucla.edu in the directory /pub/ispell. Use
this version with the emacs that you have.

(Ispell version 4 is actually older than version 3.1. Ispell 4 was
removed from prep.ai.mit.edu.)
--

1. Emacs not loading and g++ executables not running

Hello,

I'm a Linux newbie who just installed RedHat 5.1 and then recompiled the
kernel with 2.2pre9.  I'm trying to run Emacs in either one of the consoles
or from an xterm in Xwindows.  When I type 'emacs' and hit enter, it acts as
if it's running but the emacs window does not appear.  I am then unable to
kill it from that window.  Doing a Cntl-C or a Cntl-Z does nothing.  If I go
to another window and do a ps -a it shows there being a process called emacs
and in the status column it has an 'S' for sleeping (I think).  I can kill
it from another console.  I installed emacs using the RPM from the RedHat
cd.  Are there other steps I have to take to set it up?

My other question is regarding g++.  I installed g++ using the RPM from the
RedHat cd and can compile simple executables fine.  However, when trying to
run my compiled programs, it says that the command can't be found.  For
instance, I did a simple 'hello world' program and did g++ main.cc and it
gave me a nice a.out file.  When I typed a.out it said it couldn't find the
command.  I did have executable permissions on it.  What else do I need to
do to get g++ running?

Lastly, when I installed g++ from the RPM, doing a query on the package told
me that the STL was not included in the package and that I'd have to
download that.  Could someone tell me what the name of the RPM is and where
I might find it?

Thanks for all your help!

    Rob Thornton

2. Linux and AGP video Cards?

3. Why does emacs take >5 minutes to load under RH4.2?

4. NFS mounts across domains

5. why a *slow* emacs load when ppp is down?

6. What is the latest version of Linux ? ... more questions...

7. Why does emacs take >5 minutes to load under RH4.2?

8. Traceroute for Unix SVR4.2 ?

9. Why NC 4.7x within Linux not loading Microsoft main page?

10. emacs 19.xx and ispell

11. ispell error inside emacs 19.22

12. ispell and emacs

13. Problems running Tex and ispell from gnu-emacs