LILO gives error 0x09

Post by Brian H Smith » Wed, 23 Mar 1994 12:21:20

        I have spent a great deal of time trying to install LILO
and it has come to be both an obsession and a source of great grief
in my life. I installed LILO in my MBR on my WD 340 drive (I am
running Linux v0.99p15 on an Intel 486DX50). When I boot, I receive
the message:
LILO.
Error 0x09
Error 0x09
Etc. Etc.

        I can stop this infinite string of errors by hitting a key (cntrl I
believe) and boot dos (I have added MSDOS as a secondary configuration to
test LILO). The readme file has the following to say about error 0x09:

"0x09 DMA attempt across a 64k boundary. This shouldn't happen. Try omitting
the -c option and report this problem to the author."

        Naturally, I've tried loading with both compressed and uncompressed
kernel images. I have not yet tried reporting to the author, but that may
be the next step. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Brian H. Smith

LILO gives error 0x09

Post by James Montebel » Fri, 25 Mar 1994 02:09:58

This is almost certainly a hardware problem. I recently had nearly the
same thing (Error 0x08 instead of 0x09).

Try removing any non-essential hardware (sound cards, for instance) and
disabling any ports (parallel and serial) you don't need. If you have
both an IDE and a SCSI adapter, try to use only one. If the problem goes
away, add hardware until it comes back.

This is a guess, but DMA problems seem to haunt flakier (cheaper)
motherboards. My MB is some no-name Asian clone, and I've have oddball
DMA related problems from day one. I wish I understood more about what
was going on (like how the DMA system works), but for now I have things
working and that's good enough.

I wonder if someone in the Linux community who understands these things
could illuminate those of us who don't?

--

That men do not learn very much from history is the most important of all
the lessons that history has to teach.  - Aldous Huxley

LILO gives error 0x09

Post by Brian H Smith » Sat, 26 Mar 1994 00:52:12

>This is almost certainly a hardware problem. I recently had nearly the
>same thing (Error 0x08 instead of 0x09).

>Try removing any non-essential hardware (sound cards, for instance) and
>disabling any ports (parallel and serial) you don't need. If you have
>both an IDE and a SCSI adapter, try to use only one. If the problem goes
>away, add hardware until it comes back.

>This is a guess, but DMA problems seem to haunt flakier (cheaper)
>motherboards. My MB is some no-name Asian clone, and I've have oddball
>DMA related problems from day one. I wish I understood more about what
>was going on (like how the DMA system works), but for now I have things

        Someone else sent me an EMail with a suggestion that worked. When
I disabled the BIOS on my IDE board, LILO worked. However, some DOS
applications were no too happy about it. Oh well, sometimes you have to
choose sides.

Brian

Dept. of Physics, University of Minnesota| Bill Gates is the Antichrist.

1. LILO Boot Help! 0x09 0x09 0x09 0x09

I'm having trouble getting LILO to boot Linux.... it will boot
DOS just fine.  I recently bought a second IDE hard drive so
I could run Linux, and leave my DOS stuff alone on the first one.
Well, everything installed perfectly, the network even came up
right away, and Linux boots up fine with a floppy.  I followed the
diagram in the LILO docs saying that if you have Linux on the
second disk and DOS on the first, you just install LILO in the MBR
of the first disk.  So when it prompts, I can type DOS and that
boots fine.  But if I type Linux the drive just chatters while
"0x09" scrolls down the screen.  I looked this error up and it says
try not using "compact" (I'm not) and that this error shouldn't
happen... I found another blurb somewhere saying that LILO has problems
with AMI BIOS having type 47 param area set to "0:300" so I set it
to "1k DOS" but that had no affect either.

My config file looks something like this:

boot=/dev/hda
prompt
.
.
image = /vmlinuz
  root = /dev/hdb3
  label = Linux
other = /dev/hda1
  label = DOS
  table = /dev/hda

(I'm doing this from memory so that might not be exactly right).

Please help!

-andy

2. mime subtype for midi audio files

3. Help...LILO gives me a 0x09 Error

4. My firewall...

5. LILO ERROR HELP!! Error 0x09

6. SB16; won't see Sony CD-ROM

7. LILO Error 0x09...

8. copying file to a new name.

9. LILO returns "Error 0x09" message

10. error 0x09 from LILO, tried it all so far...

11. HELP - Lilo 0x09 error

12. My LILO 0x09 error solved!

13. LILO Loading Linux Error 0x09