IBM ThinkPad 720 Disk Geometry Problem

Post by Michael J. Hol » Sun, 01 May 1994 06:04:52

I'm attempting to install Linux on an IBM ThinkPad 720 (with 12 Mbyte
RAM and 161 Mbyte disk), using the slackware distribution.

As is well-documented in the installation instructions, the ThinkPad
systems do not store the drive geometry info in CMOS, so I am attempting
to enter this information by hand at the boot prompt.

I called technical support at PC Direct, and for my 161 Mbyte hard
disk, I was given the following specs:

             1575   Cylinders
                4   Heads
    48(ID)/72(OD)   Sectors/Track

              512   bytes / sector
                2   Number of disks
              1-1   Sector Interleave
              128   K Buffer

(Apparently the inner tracks have 48 sectors per track, whereas the
outer sectors have 72 sectors per track.)

When I specify the geometry information as:

      boot:  ramdisk hd=cylinders,head,sectors

as required, which in this case appears to be:

      boot:  ramdisk hd=1575,4,48

then I get the following errors when the boot disk attempts to
check the partition information:

       Partition check:

       HD controller times out, status = 0xd0
       HD-controller still busy
       HD-controller reset failed: ff
       HD controller times out, status = 0xd0
       HD-controller still busy
       HD-controller reset failed: ff
       HD controller times out, status = 0xd0
       HD-controller still busy
       HD-controller reset failed: ff
       etc....

I've also tried specifying other sector/track values, including 72, and
the average of 60, but the same errors occur.  I.e., I've tried:

      boot:  ramdisk hd=1575,4,72
      boot:  ramdisk hd=1575,4,60

Has anyone managed to install Linux in the ThinkPad 720 with this disk
and controller?   How did you specify the disk geometry?

Thanks for any help...
Regards,

   Applied Math 217-50                  Phone:  (818) 395-4549
   Caltech, Pasadena, CA 91125          FAX:    (818) 683-3549

IBM ThinkPad 720 Disk Geometry Problem

Post by Brad Pepe » Sun, 01 May 1994 10:34:19

I created a bootdisk on sunsite (in Incoming/zImage.thinkpad right now)
that should get your disk params right. Please try it out and tell me
how it works. Thanks!

+----------------------------Ren & Stimpy--------------------------------+
| "Psst. Hey Guido. It's all so clear to me now. I'm the keeper of the   |
| cheese. And you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it. That's |
| why he's gonna kill us. So we gotta beat it. Yeah. Before he lets      |
| loose the marmosets on us! Don't worry, little missy! I'll save you!"  |

IBM ThinkPad 720 Disk Geometry Problem

Post by Uri Blumenth » Wed, 04 May 1994 04:31:21

Quote:> I'm attempting to install Linux on an IBM ThinkPad 720 (with 12 Mbyte
> RAM and 161 Mbyte disk), using the slackware distribution.

> I called technical support at PC Direct, and for my 161 Mbyte hard
> disk, I was given the following specs:

>              1575   Cylinders
>                 4   Heads
>     48(ID)/72(OD)   Sectors/Track

I'm not sure yet. But I suspect it's bull****.
When I checked 240MB disk, it proved to have

        970 cyls
         15 heads
         34 sects
        512 bytes/sect

I suspect something similar for 160MB disk...  But you can
try WINSLEUTH (runs under WinShit-3.1 or OS/2). Looks like
it's rather accurate.

Quote:>                 2   Number of disks

Almost certain bull****. How can number of disks be more than
one for ThinkPad (unless you are docked to a station)?

Quote:> When I specify the geometry information as:
>       boot:  ramdisk hd=cylinders,head,sectors
> as required, which in this case appears to be:
>       boot:  ramdisk hd=1575,4,48
> then I get the following errors when the boot disk attempts to
> check the partition information:

I think you have to apply PS2 ESDI patches in order for this to work.
[I don't know whether the patches are working yet, but I assume so.]

Regards,
Uri.
------------
<Disclaimer>

1. ThinkPad 720 IBM Harddisk information?

Hi,

I have a problem installing Linux on my ThinkPad 720. I understand that
I need to know the number of heads, sectors & cylinders in order to
get Linux to recognize my harddisk. The problem is that neihter me
nor IBM knows what they are! (Costumer support? IBM?)

My harddisk is 160Mb capacity, a micro channel I think, and part
number starts with WD, so it might be a Western Digital. If anyone
knows where I can find this information please let me know.

Thank you,

Michael Seifert

2. Please Help!!! Memory Leak Problem with Linux-2.0.33

3. IBM ThinkPad 720?

4. PATH question

5. Linux on a Thinkpad 720 - 160MB disk, How?

6. Porting WinNT applications to Linux

7. boot/root disks not finding hard drive on Thinkpad 720

8. yamaha legato opl-sax software wavetable

9. Problems installing FreeBSD to an IBM 720

10. linux on Thinkpad 720

11. HP-720 vs IBM-320 vs Sparc2

12. IBM PC Server 720

13. IBM Server 720/Mylex Raid adapter