Can I boot from DOS to use DOS Device Drivers?

Can I boot from DOS to use DOS Device Drivers?

Post by Ewan Granth » Fri, 13 May 1994 22:24:03

Noticed that there are a couple of boot "systems" out there that allow you to
boot Linux from DOS. I was wondering if doing something like that would allow
me to load the Parallel Port driver for my External Hard drive on my Toshiba
1950CT so that Linux could access it?

Thanks,
Ewan Grantham

P.S. Of course if you know of some other way to do this... :-)

Post by Alexandra Griff » Sat, 14 May 1994 23:42:10

>Noticed that there are a couple of boot "systems" out there that allow you to
>boot Linux from DOS. I was wondering if doing something like that would allow
>me to load the Parallel Port driver for my External Hard drive on my Toshiba
>1950CT so that Linux could access it?

Nope, won't work... the DOS --> Linux boot chaining programs
essentially just load a Linux kernel into RAM, then give it complete
control of the machine (trashing DOS and all its drivers in the
process).  Regardless, DOS device drivers wouldn't work because
they're 8088-style real-mode code, unusable from the 32-bit 386 mode
that Linux runs under.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any Linux drivers yet for parallel-port
HDDs.  If enough people have a need for one it should eventually get
written, though-- Linux has support for all kinds of * hardware.
Have you considered moving your DOS applications over to the external
drive (leaving just say a 1MB boot partition) and dedicating the
internal disk to Linux?

--
______
\    / //////////////////////////////////////////////

  \/ //////////////////////////////////////////////

Post by Howard Anderson RVS-I » Tue, 17 May 1994 20:01:10

: >Noticed that there are a couple of boot "systems" out there that allow you to
: >boot Linux from DOS. I was wondering if doing something like that would allow
: >me to load the Parallel Port driver for my External Hard drive on my Toshiba
: >1950CT so that Linux could access it?
: >

: Nope, won't work... the DOS --> Linux boot chaining programs
: essentially just load a Linux kernel into RAM, then give it complete
: control of the machine (trashing DOS and all its drivers in the
: process).  Regardless, DOS device drivers wouldn't work because
: they're 8088-style real-mode code, unusable from the 32-bit 386 mode
: that Linux runs under.

: --
: ______
: \    / //////////////////////////////////////////////

:   \/ //////////////////////////////////////////////

Some stuff deleted.

Where can I get a boot Linux from Dos system ????

This will {in theory} help me out with my Soundcard Sony CD rom interface.

I have an Orchid Soundwave 32, which loads up most of its driver software into
ram actually on the sound card. The result of this is that I have to boot Dos
when I first switch on the machine, to get the driver into the card. Afterwards
I can hard reset the machine as many times as I want, and lilo boot directly into
Linux with the drivers intact. But If I can boot from Dos I can probably speed
up this process. My only other alternative may be to replace the ram on the
Soundwave 32 with special battery-backed ram modules. Or quiz Orchid to make a
driver for Linux.

Thanks for any info.

Can I boot from DOS to use DOS Device Drivers?

Post by Ron Smi » Wed, 18 May 1994 02:02:33

There seems to be a program called ``bootlin.exe'' that enables you to
boot linux from the DOS commandline. I haven't the faintest idea where
you can get. But there was a thread about it some weeks ago
--

                Ron Smits

/*-( My opinions are my opinions, My boss's opinions are his opinions )-*/
/*-(                They might not be the same                        )-*/

HI there,

In about march we should be getting a second PC in our house. I was
concidering trying to network the two machines. One of the machines
is going to be a DOS/Windows affair while the other one is hoping
to become a DOS and Linux setup. I have a few questions that I hope
that someone out there can answer. (The kind of network I'm concid-
ering is peer-to-peer, I think)

1) Using Novell Netware light on the DOS/Windows machine, could it
connect to the Linux machine using standard networking stuff? Would
I be able to have netware on my DOS partition of my Linux/DOS machine
so that when I boot it up using DOS I'm still connected?

2) If I were using the Linux front end for DOOM, could I still play
a multiplayer game across the network? Or would I have to go back to
DOS?

3) Just out of curiosity, could anyone give me info on cost. I've
got a home made estimate (made from various sources) of :

Cabling (roughly)                               :20
                                                ----
Total                                           136

This is a rough estimate, if anyone can confirm or deny this value
please set me straight.

Answers would be much appersiated as it will influence my decision
as to weather to get the network and/or to get Linux.

TTFN and TC, Michael Dales

-'Damn you and your networking problems Q!'-Picard

2. Change to sendmail operation?

3. Mini Linux coexists in DOS partition and boot from DOS

4. ping problem

5. DEFBOOTSTR=dos should this allow dos to boot by default?

6. Shared lib problem after upgrading to 3.3.3.1-1?

7. dd of DOS MBR wanted (to boot dos on hdb)

8. can't paste in X window???

9. How do you boot DOS not typing dos?

10. Get "dos: no dos partition" from boot prompt

11. Using a Dos boot disk to boot Linux

12. using DOS partition on separate device

13. Disassembling a DOS device driver