Slackware 2.1.0: init: can't find library 'libc.so.4' - Help

Slackware 2.1.0: init: can't find library 'libc.so.4' - Help

Post by Marc Fleischeue » Sun, 04 Dec 1994 08:38:18

Hi all,

The end of my wits. Please tell me I'm doing something wrong. I'm
installing Slackware 2.1.0, disksets a, ap, d, e, x, xap, all very
fine. I reboot after installation, LILO comes up (Uncompressing
Linux... memory is tight, got 16 Mb memory and 16 Mb swap??) I use the
`scsi' bootdisk, a bit overdone maybe but what the hell. It looks like
all components are recognized correctly. The last messages are:

Partition check:
  sda: sda1 sda2
init: can't find library 'libc.so.4'

This is the same whether I boot up with floppy or from the disk. The
hardware is:

486DX2 on a ASUS PCI board (PCI rev. 2.0)
16 Mb memory
On-board PCI SCSI controller (NCR 53c810) 1G SCSI disk, both appear
with type numbers & all during startup

The system ran fine with dos and windows, but you'll appreciate that
that's not an option ;^) I do hope that I have given enough info, but
more is available.

thanks for your help

Marc
--
    + =========================================== +

   || IWTS, Nijmegen University   Wundtlaan 1     ||
   || 6525 XD Nijmegen            the Netherlands ||
    + =========================================== +

Post by David Washbu » Mon, 05 Dec 1994 00:11:00

>Hi all,

>The end of my wits. Please tell me I'm doing something wrong. I'm
>installing Slackware 2.1.0, disksets a, ap, d, e, x, xap, all very
>fine. I reboot after installation, LILO comes up (Uncompressing
>Linux... memory is tight, got 16 Mb memory and 16 Mb swap??) I use the
>`scsi' bootdisk, a bit overdone maybe but what the hell. It looks like
>all components are recognized correctly. The last messages are:

>Partition check:
>  sda: sda1 sda2
>VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.
>init: can't find library 'libc.so.4'

>This is the same whether I boot up with floppy or from the disk. The
>hardware is:

>486DX2 on a ASUS PCI board (PCI rev. 2.0)
>16 Mb memory
>On-board PCI SCSI controller (NCR 53c810) 1G SCSI disk, both appear
>with type numbers & all during startup

>The system ran fine with dos and windows, but you'll appreciate that
>that's not an option ;^) I do hope that I have given enough info, but
>more is available.

>thanks for your help

I hadthe same problem.  Turns out that I got some bogus downloads from
sunsite, probably because the LAN I was downloading on was having some
major problems.  I downloaded it all again, re-installed it and it worked.
My system is IDE,tho...Don't know if that will make a difference.

--
Dave
                                How long a minute is depends on

Slackware 2.1.0: init: can't find library 'libc.so.4' - Help

Post by Marc Fleischeue » Mon, 05 Dec 1994 03:16:34

Earlier, I wrote

 > Hi all,
 > The end of my wits. Please tell me I'm doing something wrong. I'm
 > installing Slackware 2.1.0, disksets a, ap, d, e, x, xap, all very
 > fine. I reboot after installation, LILO comes up (Uncompressing
 > Linux... memory is tight, got 16 Mb memory and 16 Mb swap??) I use the
 > `scsi' bootdisk, a bit overdone maybe but what the hell. It looks like
 > all components are recognized correctly. The last messages are:

 > Partition check:
 >   sda: sda1 sda2
 > VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.
 > init: can't find library 'libc.so.4'

Well, it turned out that I used no-name floppies that literally
swarmed with bad sectors. Tells you what a cheap .... I am. Got four
decent ones, installed the `a' series and I now have a really really
tiny Linux running really really smooth. And every conceivable FAQ ;-)

Cheers, Marc
--
    + =========================================== +

   || IWTS, Nijmegen University   Wundtlaan 1     ||
   || 6525 XD Nijmegen            the Netherlands ||
    + =========================================== +

1. init: can't find library 'libc.so.4'

Subject: init: can't find library 'libc.so.4' :: any advice appreciated
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.help
i just installed the slackerware version of Linux on my toshiba 4400c
notebook the installation went great and i even set up LILO to boot
an msdos partition *i was so happy it worked* but when i tried to load
linux from lilo i get this error message

Partition check:
  hda: hda1 hda2 hda3
init: can't find library 'libc.so.4'

so i load linux from the boot and ramdisks, logged in as root and
checked to see if i could find this file, it was in the lib directory
as a shortcut (?) to another file ....... is this a problem ...
if you have any ideas or know what i should try i'd love some help
i'm really excited about getting linux up and running so thanks in
advance!!

        otherwise, i will try to sift through and find them in news

                thanks again!

2. Sparc 20's, Heat, and Internal Drives

3. Can't find library 'libc.so.4' ???

4. Linux for PowerPC: unattended boot

5. Compiler Error -- doesn't find shred library 'libc.so.4'

6. newbie soundcard problem

7. dip: can't find library 'libc.so.4'

8. Connecting Linux with HPUX 9.05

9. "Can't find shared library 'libc.so.3.0'"

10. Help: "tcsh: can't load library 'libc.so.5'" ??

11. ``Output file requires shared library `libc.so.4' ''

12. what does 'ld: Output file requires shared library `libc.so.4'' mean?

13. U R G E N T: CAN'T LOAD LIBRARY 'libc.so.5'