Swap partition not activated at boot-time

Swap partition not activated at boot-time

Post by Michael Robert Willia » Sun, 04 Dec 1994 02:32:09

Hello all;
  I've recently installed Linux, and I love it! However, my swap partition
won;t activate at boot-time.  I can type mkswap <device> <size>, then
swapon <device> at the prompt and it works fine.  Can I put these commands
in my profile without Something Bad happeneing, or is there a preferred
methods for doing this?

  Thanks in advance.

--
In Real Life: Mike Williams     | Aerospace Engineer--

"If you ever have a world of your own, plan ahead-- don't eat it." ST:TNG

Swap partition not activated at boot-time

Post by Mark D. Ro » Sun, 04 Dec 1994 04:32:21

Quote:>Hello all;
>  I've recently installed Linux, and I love it! However, my swap partition
>won;t activate at boot-time.  I can type mkswap <device> <size>, then
>swapon <device> at the prompt and it works fine.  Can I put these commands
>in my profile without Something Bad happeneing, or is there a preferred
>methods for doing this?
>  Thanks in advance.

What you want to do here is make sure you've got an entry for the swap
partition in /etc/fstab.  Then make sure you have "swapon -a"
somewhere in one of your rc scripts (somewhere in /etc/rc.d if you're
running the SysV horribly over-complex init(8)).  The rest of the
details should be in the manpages...

Hope this helps,

--

        C++>$ UL+>++++ P--- L++>+++ 3 E(-) N++ K++ W--- M-- V-

1. activating swap pactivating swap partition in redhat 7.0

Hi, I created a swap partition /dev/hda6 on my system.  My fstab file
contains the entry:

/dev/hda6               swap                    swap    defaults
0 0

however, when I run kpm, in the swap section it says "no swap".  This
seems to
indicate that there is no swap.  If it was that wasn't using any I would
guess it would say
0% used.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.   It you forward
a response to my email:

it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
R Haynes

2. HELP! GUI design info needed.

3. swap partition not activated?

4. lpd problem between two SCO

5. Swap space not activated at boot

6. install pmax prob

7. will linux use swap partition AND swap file at the same time

8. Logging on from PCs to a Linux box with X

9. RH7.1 upgrade fails - 7.0 rollback problem -> Activating Swap Partitions: Failed

10. activating swap partition

11. Why swap partition not swap file?

12. Q: Why swap partition and not swap file???

13. RedHat 4.0 failed to activate modem at boot time