Connecting and 8088 to my Linux box via serial ports

Connecting and 8088 to my Linux box via serial ports

Post by Dan Newcom » Fri, 15 Jul 1994 23:34:18

Right now I have a 386/33DX running Linux.   I also have a 8088 running Dos
(and CP/M when I'm really bored. :)   While eventually I want to upgrade the
8088 to a 386, and get a 486 or higher, I'm still asking now because:
        a) it will be a while (monetary reasons)
        b) I'll still want to do this after I've upgraded.

Neither of the machines have Ethernet cards in them, and I plan on
buying/making a serial cable to link them together (like a laplink cable).  If
this can be done via the parallel port, even better, but I'll use serial for
now.

What I would like to do is connect the serial ports of the two machines, and
using the public domain packet drivers, and Clarkson University's CU/TCP
package, be able to telnet, ftp, etc... from my 8088 PC into my Linux box.

I know that this will probably involve using SLIP in one way or another.  This
is where I need help.  For starters, I don't have a clue on how to set up
SLIP.  I remember trying to do this before, and all the docs kept talking
about DIP, contradicting themselves, and basically being as unhelpful as Unix
docs tend to be.   One of the problems I remember I kept running into, was
phone numbers.  Obviously in this setup, I don't need to dial anything, but
that's all the docs wanted to talk about.  (Besides, the modem is for UUCP :)

Any help from anyone that's done this would be wonderful.  I've looked at the
list of Howto's, but none of them deal with this (unless it's hidden away in
the Ethernet one.)

        Thanks!!!
                -Dan

--

Clayton State College           Morrow, Georgia
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Connecting and 8088 to my Linux box via serial ports

Post by chris formul » Sat, 16 Jul 1994 08:56:15

        I've never set up slip, so I can't help you there, but I can tell
you that you'd probably benefit more from PLIP (parallel line internet
protocol).  Just like slip only over your parallel port, and it's alot
faster.  I've heard from some people that it's almost/just as fast as
using network cards.
        I hope this info can be of some use to you.

Post by Dan Newcom » Sat, 16 Jul 1994 17:45:45

>        I've never set up slip, so I can't help you there, but I can tell
>you that you'd probably benefit more from PLIP (parallel line internet
>protocol).  Just like slip only over your parallel port, and it's alot
>faster.  I've heard from some people that it's almost/just as fast as
>using network cards.

I read about that the other night.  I know the parallel port is faster (1 bit
-> 8 bits), but my question about doing this then is:
        Does anyone know of a packet driver for DOS that does PLIP???

        -Dan

--

Clayton State College           Morrow, Georgia
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
"And the man in the mirror has sad eyes."       -Marillion

Connecting and 8088 to my Linux box via serial ports

Post by Joachim Wloda » Sat, 16 Jul 1994 21:49:49

[stuff deleted]

:       Does anyone know of a packet driver for DOS that does PLIP???

:       -Dan

It should be in the newest Crynwr (former Clarkson) packet driver
collection, look, e.g., oak.oakland.edu:/pub/msdos/pktdrvr

-jjw.

Post by Russell Nels » Sat, 16 Jul 1994 20:33:17

   machines, and using the public domain packet drivers, and Clarkson

Not public domain.  They use the same copyright as Linux does.

--

Crynwr Software   | Crynwr Software sells packet driver support | ask4 PGP key
11 Grant St.      | +1 315 268 1925 (9201 FAX)  | What art thou doing about it?

Post by Bill Hog » Sun, 17 Jul 1994 11:12:25

:       I've never set up slip, so I can't help you there, but I can tell
: you that you'd probably benefit more from PLIP (parallel line internet
: protocol).  Just like slip only over your parallel port, and it's alot
: faster.  I've heard from some people that it's almost/just as fast as
: using network cards.
:       I hope this info can be of some use to you.
:

  PLIP that runs on an 8088 under MSDOS?

  I have an old Zenith 151 that I would love to be able to hook to my
Linux box via parallel ports!

  But I just now downloaded SIMINDEX.ZIP for oak.oaklond.edu and didn't
find a single reference to 'PLIP' or 'plip'.

  Can you give more details?

  TIA, Bill
--
  Bill Hogan