Why doesn't my prompt change when I su?

Post by Tim Toml » Fri, 17 Jun 1994 09:54:17

I am used to having my prompt change to "#" when I su (to root, of course).  I
have recently installed Linux 1.0.8 (Slackware install 1.2).  I have set
root's .profile so I get a # at login and have played with the gettydefs.
What am I missing?

Thanks in advance,
Tim Tomlin

Post by Bill Hog » Fri, 17 Jun 1994 18:04:06

: I am used to having my prompt change to "#" when I su (to root, of
: course).  I have recently installed Linux 1.0.8 (Slackware install 1.2).
: I have set root's .profile so I get a # at login and have played with
: the gettydefs.  What am I missing?

: Thanks in advance,
: Tim Tomlin

  Here is what I have in my /etc/profile file:

        PS1='\h:[*\u*]\w \$ '
        PS2='\h:[*\u*] And? \$ '

  The "\$" is a smart variable; it displays as "$" for users, but "#" for
root.

  Bill
--
  Bill Hogan

1. Why doesn't my ppp-on script work when su'ing

If I run my ppp-on script on the local consol when logging in as root then
it dials and connects perfectly.  But when I telnet into my linux box, log
in as a user, then su to root and try to run the ppp-onn scripts it does
nothing.  It just returns to the comman propt without even dialing hte
modem.  How can't I get it to dial when I su in?

2. Web Browser for Alpha Linux 2.2 (RedHat V6.0)

3. Environment doesn't change with su

4. Netscape setup

5. su command without '-' gives no hostname in prompt

6. FD-TMC850

7. accurate userid in prompt after 'su new_userid'

8. Netscape ACL

9. su command without '-' gives no hostname in prompt

10. 'su ' vs. 'su -'

11. 'su -c' doesn't work properly?

12. restrict use of 'su' or 'su -'

13. 'su --login user -c command' doesn't run loggin scripts