Linux install from Hard Drive corrupted my DOS partition

Linux install from Hard Drive corrupted my DOS partition

Post by Scott Bark » Wed, 25 Aug 1993 07:15:09

I put the Linux installation packages on my DOS partition, and installed from
the harddrive (I was installing SLS). The installation worked fine, and Linux
was happy. However, something in my DOS partition got corrupted, and I had
what was reported as "cross-linked files" by my disk checker. Anybody know
what a "cross-linked file" is, and why Linux could have caused them?

--
Scott Barker

"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him."
   - Voltaire

Linux install from Hard Drive corrupted my DOS partition

Post by Steve Sheld » Wed, 25 Aug 1993 08:15:36

Quote:>I put the Linux installation packages on my DOS partition, and installed from
>the harddrive (I was installing SLS). The installation worked fine, and Linux
>was happy. However, something in my DOS partition got corrupted, and I had
>what was reported as "cross-linked files" by my disk checker. Anybody know
>what a "cross-linked file" is, and why Linux could have caused them?

 It appears that the SLS distribution attempts to automagically setup a swap
partition whether or not you specify one.

 I noticed also that it will try to automagically install the system whether
or not you specify a root partition.

 Pretty cool, eh?  Someone doesn't test these things enough...
--

#insert "standard disclaimer"                      Iowa State University

1. Linux install from DOS partition on hard drive?

I have an IBM Thinkpad laptop that does NOT have a CD-ROM drive.  I can,
however, access CDs by connecting to a PC with a CD-ROM drive and
running a Windows program.  I'd like to install Red Hat Linux 4.2, which
comes on a CD.  Could this method work:

1.  Re-partition laptop hard drive into DOS and Linux partitions.
2.  Connect the laptop to a PC with a CD-ROM and copy CD to the laptop
DOS partition.
3.  Boot the laptop in Linux with a floppy boot disk, then mount the DOS
directory with the copied files from the CD.
4.  Perform a hard drive install.

While I have your attention, how big should the Linux partition be for a
Red Hat installation with X-windows, TeX and LaTeX, and some development
tools like dbx?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Justin
--
To reply by email, remove the text "-remove-" from the email address.

2. Is there a way to run a job, log off, and have it finish on its own?

3. Reformatting Linux Hard Drive Partition to DOS format again

4. at and mail commands

5. slackware 3.5 install - install from win95/dos hard drive?

6. Xfree86 on thinkpad 390

7. Disk Druid , mount hard drive, partitioning hard drive

8. Inverse Video

9. Installing 3 versions of linux on one hard drive - help me partition it please

10. HELP - Install Linux on Last Partition of a 30 GB Hard Drive?

11. Help: Redhat 4 Install Corrupts Hard Drive Boot Record

12. Installing Linux on a logical drive in DOS extended partition

13. Linux 5.0 Install Destroyed Hard Drive Partition