Slackware 1.2.0 and Adaptec 2840/2842 support

Slackware 1.2.0 and Adaptec 2840/2842 support

Post by Mike Sou » Tue, 24 May 1994 21:52:20

Hello all, I have been attempting to get Linux 1.2.0 installed onto my 486/33
at home and I have Linux itself tar'd onto SCSI tape for use with my Tandberg
3660 (3600?). My system consists of the usual IDE controller and an Adaptec
VL 2840/2842 SCSI controller (just installed it this weekend). When I was
booting from the two disks prior to setting up Linux it saw my IDE drive, but
not my SCSI drive(s). At that time I figured it was because of the fact I was
using a Trantor T130b SCSI board, well, switching to this Adaptec didn't help
matters, just gave me a more expensive (and better) scsi controller! :(

So can anyone tell me what I am missing here? I have disabled both C: and D: in
Bios so I am booting from my SCSI drive C:, I have a second disk I want to
install Linux onto (actually second partition of disk 2). I have scsinet for
the kernel on the Linux disks in 3.5" format. One other problem I noticed was
that when I got to the login prompt, it says login as "root", well I did so,
then it asks for password (usual unix login request), but I have not found this
information anywhere in the howto- documentation. Eventually it lets me in to
the # prompt, but when I was trying to install it onto my IDE drive it wouldn't
let me mkswap, said something about not enough memory or couldn't find device
/dev/hda22. I want to install it on a second partition, not the first partition
so I can leave my IDE C: as boot disk, work on getting kernel to recognize my
Adaptec for SCSI usage, etc.....do I sound confused?! Anyways, if some kind
soul could point me in the proper direction (other than out of here! :) ) I

will hunt down the FAQ's as time permits.

Mike Soucy

Post by Dirk-Jan Koopm » Wed, 25 May 1994 08:50:30

[...]

there is no support for the 2842 card yet, people are working on it, it will
be available RSN.

Dirk

1. Slackware 1.2.0 and Adaptec 2840/2842 support

Really?  RSN?  I had heard that it would be "at least Fall" before the
driver would be available (hence I've decided to buy a Buslogic 445S card since
it is supported NOW).

Is the Adaptec driver really going to be available soon?

--

2. Access Control on Netscape Suitespot 2.0

3. Linux and Adaptec 2840/2842

4. Where is "sysinfo" system call?

5. HELP: ADAPTEC 2842 and SLACKWARE 3.0.0

6. xdm & login.defs

7. Problem with 2842 Adaptec and Slackware 3.0.0 at boot

8. testing apache

9. Adaptec 2842 support

10. Adaptec 2842 SCSI Controller supported by Linux??

11. Adaptec 2842 VLB support?

12. Support for Adaptec 2842?

13. Adaptec 2842 VLB SCSI-2 supported?