ADAPTEC 2842A not detect

Post by Thomas Roe » Thu, 08 Dec 1994 03:02:00

NW>I currently installed an Adaptec 2842 VL bus SCSI adapter in my compu
NW>I plan to use this adapter for a NEC 4XE CD-ROM drive right now, and
NW>maybe a SCSI-II drive later.  Anyway, I just installed kernel 1.1.68,
NW>which has the 2842 driver.  When Linux boots it says
NW>
NW>  SCSI: 0 hosts
NW>
NW>or something like that,  but it's not getting detected.  The BIOS on
NW>Adaptec card is currently turned off, since I don't have a SCSI hard
NW>I tried giving LILO command line parameters to force detection of the
NW>adapter, but that didn't work.  I've looked through the SCSI and CD-R
NW>howtos with no luck.  The drive and card worked fine under DOS (until

I have exactly the same problem. However, I have my hard drive
running off the card, which means that Linux also doesn't pick
up my hard drive.

The hard drive is a Seagate ST31200N, but I don't think this is
relevant, as the problem appears to be with the host adapter.
The BIOS on my card is enabled, and it also uses the default values.

I would be very grateful if you could forward any answers you get to

Thanx
Thomas Roets
+27-11-782-5482

---
* CmpQwk #UNREG * UNREGISTERED EVALUATION COPY

----
Digitec Online - South Africa
Telnet: bbs.digitec.co.za or 196.11.62.106

1. ADAPTEC 2842A not detected - HOW?

I currently installed an Adaptec 2842 VL bus SCSI adapter in my computer.
I plan to use this adapter for a NEC 4XE CD-ROM drive right now, and
maybe a SCSI-II drive later.  Anyway, I just installed kernel 1.1.68,
which has the 2842 driver.  When Linux boots it says

  SCSI: 0 hosts

or something like that,  but it's not getting detected.  The BIOS on the
Adaptec card is currently turned off, since I don't have a SCSI hard drive.
I tried giving LILO command line parameters to force detection of the
adapter, but that didn't work.  I've looked through the SCSI and CD-ROM
howtos with no luck.  The drive and card worked fine under DOS (until my
other hard drive died a few days ago!).  Except for the adapter BIOS being
disabled, all the card settings are at default.  Does anybody know how I
can get this thing recognized?

Much Thanks,

--Nolan Wall--

2. Developing an Operating System

3. HELP! lots of problems with Adaptec AHA-2842A

4. 2.4.20 drivers/cdrom/cdu31a.c

5. Adaptec 2842a?

6. Soundblaster Live error in 4.1 release

7. Will the Adaptec 2842A SCSI card work with Linux without a fight?

8. Backup-Method using DAT (4mm for DDS-2)

9. LILO doesn't recognize my Adaptec 2842A VL

10. Adaptec 2842A and 2GB Micropolis partitioning problem

11. Adaptec AHA-2840A/2842A SCSI Controller

12. Lilo quits upom reading Adaptec 2842a controller

13. spider graphics card, promise EIDE card, adaptec 2842a = HELP!