Slackware 2.0.2 sendmail / mail doesn't work

Slackware 2.0.2 sendmail / mail doesn't work

Post by Dirk Kleinhesseli » Mon, 07 Nov 1994 17:12:56

    Hi - I upgraded my system from slackware 2.0.1 (smail) to the 2.0.2
distribution with sendmail.  I am connected via an ethernet link and have
TCP/IP.  My older smail setup worked ok for sending and receiving mail,
but with the new distribution, mail does not work.  If I try to send a mail
with "mail", the utility accepts the address and the text, but at termination,
nothing happens, the message disappears and is never queued, nor returned.
This is also true with mail sent to local users.  If I try to send a mail
in from outside, if I monitor the network with netstat, I can see the
incoming smtp connection, but nothing happens -- the connection stays
connected but no mail comes in.  I also have mh installed, and if I use
"comp" to create and send a message, if I use "ps" I can see a sendmail
process trying to read from localhost and with "netstat" I see a smtp
connection created from localhost to localhost and the processes seem to
just hang there.  I do not run named, rather I have some nameservers
defined in resolv.conf .  I suspect that "mail" wants the old smail
program, which is why it fails, but why the sendmail always hangs when-
ever it tries to process and outgoing mail or incoming mail I don't
understand.  If I run sendmail -bt   to test my configuration file, it
correctly resolves local users to the local mailer and non-local user
addresses to the smtp mailer -- I don't use uucp.
   Any help is greatly appreciated !

                         Dirk Kleinhesselink

Post by Mark » Thu, 10 Nov 1994 03:23:23

>    Hi - I upgraded my system from slackware 2.0.1 (smail) to the 2.0.2
>distribution with sendmail.  I am connected via an ethernet link and have
>TCP/IP.  My older smail setup worked ok for sending and receiving mail,
>but with the new distribution, mail does not work.  If I try to send a mail
>with "mail", the utility accepts the address and the text, but at termination,
>nothing happens, the message disappears and is never queued, nor returned.
>[...]

I just installed Slackware 2.0.2. Apparently sendmail is not
reacting to a "." at the beginning of line to end "DATA."

--
Mark Ng