large hard drives

Post by Jonathan Boo » Wed, 31 Aug 1994 17:13:40

I recently installed a larger and faster hard drive. Whilst preparing
a partition for linux on the drive I was warned /dev/hda1 has over 1024
cylnders, this may cause problems with some programs. The partition is
210 MB and resideds entirely below the 1024 cylnder limit (its the first
partition) will I experience any problems?

Have I avoided the problem by placing the partition below the 1024 limit?

If I do have a problem is there any solution, (I have heard that kernel
versions > 1.1.39 solve this problem), is this correct?

I am running slackware, kernel version 1.0

Please reply with Email
thanks
Jonathan Booth

large hard drives

Post by Mark Lo » Thu, 01 Sep 1994 02:06:35

>I recently installed a larger and faster hard drive. Whilst preparing
>a partition for linux on the drive I was warned /dev/hda1 has over 1024
>cylnders, this may cause problems with some programs. The partition is
>210 MB and resideds entirely below the 1024 cylnder limit (its the first
>partition) will I experience any problems?

>Have I avoided the problem by placing the partition below the 1024 limit?

>If I do have a problem is there any solution, (I have heard that kernel
>versions > 1.1.39 solve this problem), is this correct?

Yes.. *if* your BIOS supports "more than 16 heads".

Just reduce the number of cylinders by half and double the number
of heads in the BIOS setup, *before* building the partition table.
--

1. Large hard drive question

This seems to be a stupid question, I know, but better safe than sorry I
guess.  I have been running Linux for some time on hard drives under 500 MB
in size, using LILO.  I would like to move Linux with SAMBA to some of our
larger file servers to replace them, but get warnings on my test machines
with hard drives larger than 500 MB that LILO can't boot them.  One time I
couldn't get it to boot at all, though I could mount the partition from a
floppy just fine.  Is there anything special I have to do under Linux to get
LILO to boot a hard drive using LBA?  Do I need it to use some other mode or
something?  (CHS, etc.)  I know this is a stupid question, but I want to
cover all the bases before setting up the Linux filesever only to find out
it won't boot like my test box.

Thanks in advance,
Jake Kruse
Family Home Mortgage

2. Installing Linux

3. Large Hard Drives With Older BIOS

4. Procedure for XDM set up

5. Lilo and large hard drives, help

6. Recommendation for CGI-Bin location on virtual servers

7. Large Hard Drive Problems with RH 5.2 (posted for Tim Ewing)

8. networking solaris

9. Large Hard Drive Problem

10. large hard drive compatibility

11. Large Hard Drive

12. Moving & Switching Large Hard Drives