dosemu and ATI Graphics Ultra

Post by Spir » Fri, 25 Feb 1994 00:00:38

I'm relatively new to the Linux world, but I'm having pretty
good luck so far.  My compliments to all involved.
I just installed dosemu yesterday, and find that I can run it
in graphics mode without much problem.  That is to say, the
system doesn't crash.  A couple of interesting things DO happen,
however:

1.  When dosemu 'boots', my ATI Graphics Ultra (*NOT* Pro)
    gives me an error and flashes a map of itself with a
    chip blinking.  Dosemu continues to boot without a
    complaint.

2.  Running any graphics mode program is VERY slow.  Even
    Microsoft Word 5.5, which runs fine in text mode, slows
    to an unbearable pace.  Any games are completely
    unplayable.

According to all READMEs and FAQs, it is possible to run
graphics oriented programs under dosemu.  Do I need to tweak
the config file in some way?  I did add the ports line suggested
for the ATI Vantage (or Wonder, or whatever.  The chipsets
are very similar, if not identical.)

Any help is appreciated!

Post by Evmorfopoulos Dimitr » Fri, 25 Feb 1994 03:10:13

> I'm relatively new to the Linux world, but I'm having pretty
> good luck so far.  My compliments to all involved.
> I just installed dosemu yesterday, and find that I can run it
> in graphics mode without much problem.  That is to say, the
> system doesn't crash.  A couple of interesting things DO happen,
> however:

> 1.  When dosemu 'boots', my ATI Graphics Ultra (*NOT* Pro)
>     gives me an error and flashes a map of itself with a
>     chip blinking.  Dosemu continues to boot without a
>     complaint.

> 2.  Running any graphics mode program is VERY slow.  Even
>     Microsoft Word 5.5, which runs fine in text mode, slows
>     to an unbearable pace.  Any games are completely
>     unplayable.

> According to all READMEs and FAQs, it is possible to run
> graphics oriented programs under dosemu.  Do I need to tweak
> the config file in some way?  I did add the ports line suggested
> for the ATI Vantage (or Wonder, or whatever.  The chipsets
> are very similar, if not identical.)

> Any help is appreciated!

        The blinking chip on the board layout is the accelerator chip. It is
blinking because the bios cannot initialize it since some of the ports are not
accessible by the emulator. Your manual has all the ports used by the board, and
you should try to enable these under dosemu. As for speed, try the new timer code
option of the emulator. It gives better results with games. As for speed, if you
run a timer independent program like an animator (fli, avi, mpeg, gl, dl, etc type
of animator) you will see that the speed you can get is at least as good as the
speed you get in DOS. If you dont fix the ports, you will not be able to use the
accelerator, and thus do not expect speed in programs that use it. These probably
default to standard VGA speed, which in GU is very bad, actually worst than any
non-accelerated SVGA in the market.

--
         ______      _______

        | |  \  |   | |___
        | |   | |   |  ___|     Masters student working *
        | |___| |   | |_____
        |_______| * |_______| * "Sliding Sunday, Week compression algorithm."

1. ATI Graphics Ultra - Redhat 7.1

Can I get 1024x768 out of an ATI Graphics Ultra under XFree86
4.0.3-5 running Redhat 7.1?  The README.ati says the card isn't
supported for acceleration.  Under prior versions (Redhat 5.0 and
old Slackware,) I could use either a mach8 (accelerated) or a
8514 driver to get 1024x768 with width 8.  The best I can get now
is 800x600.  The card is an ATI Graphics Ultra with 1M memory and
a 38800-1 chip.

Bob

2. Problems with USR Sportstep under Linux

3. Acer and Asus M'boards and ATI Graphics Ultra mouse

4. `bad rmfree' in SunOS 5.3

5. ATI Graphics Ultra Plus & mouse port

6. Avoid 133MHz KINGMAX SDRAM

7. Bus Mouse on ATI Graphics Ultra Won't Work!

8. Diamond Supra PCI 56i V.90 - winmodem?

9. SuperMicro S2DGU and ATI Graphics Ultra Pro

10. ATI Graphics Ultra Pro VLB 2MB

11. Problems with mouse in Slackware with ATI Graphics Ultra

12. X_SETUP: Problem w/ ATI Graphics Ultra mouse

13. XFree86 on ATI graphics ultra