Mouse pointer "stuck" at top of display in X

Mouse pointer "stuck" at top of display in X

Post by Daniel Hanse » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 22:40:46

I have finally succeeded in getting X11/Gnome running on my ancient HP Vectra (RH8), but the mouse cursor ends up "stuck" at the top of the display.
Any movement of the mouse in any direction simply results in the pointer moving back and forth along the horizontal axis.  The mouse in an HP-branded
MS Mouse-compatible, and I selected Option 1 (for MS Mouse-compatible) in xf86config.

Does anyone have a clue where I blew it?

Dan Hansen
http://www.wildwisconsin.com

Mouse pointer "stuck" at top of display in X

Post by Daniel Hanse » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 00:29:03

There MUST be a name for this phenomenon:

 1) Spend hours looking for the solution to a petty but frustrating problem.
 2) Give up and post a question to the newsgroups.
 3) Just for the heck of it do a couple more searches
 4) BAM -- there's the answer staring you in the face.

I found a discussion group thread that suggested changing

 >>    Option "Protocol"    "Microsoft"

to...

 >>    Option "Protocol"    "PS/2"

... which I did, and it worked like a charm.

-----------------

 >>I have finally succeeded in getting X11/Gnome running on my ancient HP Vectra (RH8), but the mouse cursor ends up "stuck" at the top of the display.
 >>Any movement of the mouse in any direction simply results in the pointer moving back and forth along the horizontal axis.  The mouse in an HP-branded
 >>MS Mouse-compatible, and I selected Option 1 (for MS Mouse-compatible) in xf86config.
 >>
 >>Does anyone have a clue where I blew it?

 >>Dan Hansen
 >>http://www.wildwisconsin.com

 Dan Hansen

Mouse pointer "stuck" at top of display in X

Post by Adam » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 03:47:54

Quote:> There MUST be a name for this phenomenon:

>  1) Spend hours looking for the solution to a petty but frustrating
>  problem. 2) Give up and post a question to the newsgroups.
>  3) Just for the heck of it do a couple more searches
>  4) BAM -- there's the answer staring you in the face.

Don't feel too bad. I had a mouse/X problem once where the pointer kept
drifting around. I swapped the mouse for one from another computer and got
a similar problem (but not exactly the same).

The eventual result? Mouse no.1 was old and worn out; mouse no.2 needed a
different protocol in the X configuration.

Mouse pointer "stuck" at top of display in X

Post by Jazz » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 05:50:09

I know what you said on Tuesday 24 June 2003 17:29, Daniel Hansen.

Quote:> There MUST be a name for this phenomenon:

It's called "slap-ouch".

"Slap", from hitting your forehead.
"Ouch", from forgetting you were still holding your favourite coffee
mug.

--
Jazz.

"... and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space,
"because there's * all down here on Earth!"
Eric Idle - the Meaning of Life

1. Mouse pointer "stuck" at top of display in X

I have finally succeeded in getting X11/Gnome running on my ancient HP Vectra (RH8), but the mouse cursor ends up "stuck" at the top of the display.

Any movement of the mouse in any direction simply results in the pointer moving back and forth along the horizontal axis.  The mouse in an HP-branded
MS Mouse-compatible, and I selected Option 1 (for MS Mouse-compatible) in xf86config.

Does anyone have a clue where I blew it?  The pointer section from my XF86Config-4 file is as follows:

# **********************************************************************
# Core Pointer's InputDevice section
# **********************************************************************

Section "InputDevice"

# Identifier and driver

    Identifier  "Mouse1"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option "Protocol"    "Microsoft"
    Option "Device"      "/dev/mouse"

# When using XQUEUE, comment out the above two lines, and uncomment
# the following line.

#    Option "Protocol"  "Xqueue"

# Baudrate and SampleRate are only for some Logitech mice. In
# almost every case these lines should be omitted.

#    Option "BaudRate"  "9600"
#    Option "SampleRate"        "150"

# Emulate3Buttons is an option for 2-button Microsoft mice
# Emulate3Timeout is the timeout in milliseconds (default is 50ms)

    Option "Emulate3Buttons"
#    Option "Emulate3Timeout"    "50"

# ChordMiddle is an option for some 3-button Logitech mice

#    Option "ChordMiddle"

EndSection

 Dan Hansen

2. console mode under /root

4. Memory leaking under pl12?

6. Help on solaris rcp

7. extention "RENDER" missing on display ":"0.0".

8. Compression at Filesystem Level? (ext2fs)

9. Type "(", ")" and "{", "}" in X...

10. "top" command and "sysctl" -> CPU %

11. What is "cached" in "top" and why is so big?

12. Solaris 9 "top" and "lsof" equivalents ?

13. HELP: "TOP" Command and "SZ" command