Memory/Swap problems

Post by B.A.McCau.. » Fri, 11 Nov 1994 19:24:14

Quote:>I have 16 megs of ram, and 10 megabyte swap file.  I don't understand how
>Linux is eating all of my memory up.

Is this one not in the FAQ yet? (It appears on c.o.l.help almost daily!)

Linux (or any _real_ OS) will expand to fill the space available. A
lot of your used memory is "clean" disk cache which will be discarded
as soon as the memory is needed. If it discarded it sooner then this
would cause unnecessary disk access.

.  l___\\    /~~) /~~[  /   [ | PGP-fp: D7 03 2A 4B D8 3A 05 37
 # ll  l\\  ~~~~ ~   ~ ~    ~ |         A1 93 FE EA BE E3 2A 91

Memory/Swap problems

Post by Marty E. Geie » Fri, 11 Nov 1994 03:21:06

I have 16 megs of ram, and 10 megabyte swap file.  I don't understand how
Linux is eating all of my memory up.  In the docs it says that you need a
swap partition unless you have 16 megs of ram or more.  So I never created one
at first since I have 16 megs.  I thought I would be ok, and then I put in
X, and once I've started Xfree and logged on, my memory is about at
1 megabyte.  Hardly enough to run anything under X.  So I had to instate a
swap file.  This is terribly slow though and I would like to know if I'm doing
something wrong, or if Linux really is this much of a memory hog.

Memory/Swap problems

Post by Bill McCart » Sun, 13 Nov 1994 14:01:52

Quote:

>I have 16 megs of ram, and 10 megabyte swap file.  I don't understand how
>Linux is eating all of my memory up.  In the docs it says that you need a
>swap partition unless you have 16 megs of ram or more.  So I never created one
>at first since I have 16 megs.  I thought I would be ok, and then I put in
>X, and once I've started Xfree and logged on, my memory is about at
>1 megabyte.  Hardly enough to run anything under X.  So I had to instate a
>swap file.  This is terribly slow though and I would like to know if I'm doing
>something wrong, or if Linux really is this much of a memory hog.

Marty:

Dunno what to tell you other than I have 16megs and a small swap partition -
2megs - and am running X ok. Right now I have 2 xterms open, xclock, xload,
xclipboard, xosview, the appbar GoodStuff and a royalblue solid root window.
Both xosview and free show close to 4meg ram free and top shows over 4 in
buffer. All I can advise is for you to run top and see what is going on
to take up your memory. Also, you can do a ps -m to see what is using what.
What exactly are you running when you start X and so on? Sorry I can't be
more helpful.

Bill McCarthy

"Isn't it pretty to think so."
TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT\__Jake Barnes___________________________
LinuX + i486dx2/66
usual disclaimer

1. netscape proxy server 2.53 memory-swap problem with Solaris 2.5.1 with all new patches installed on it!

I have a stange problem with Netscape proxy server 2.53.
I use Ultra Sun sparc 1 with 256 M - RAM and 300 Meg swap files
(/tmp).

When i reboot the Sun, and de netscape proxy start, then my memory
start to lowering all time and my swap go down.  After 3 days, i got
to reboot because de physical size of the swap go down near 5 Meg!!!!

To check what is the problem i do this:

So, with the old (ucb) ps (ps -aux)  i can saw the process that take
many bytes.   And it is a process from my proxy...

i use vmstat and df -k to see that my memory going down and my
physical swap size going down ...

Someone have that problem?  Any solution?

Denis Garon
MTQ

2. looking PD math software announcement (~2 months old)

3. Swap utilization (mirroring??) (ration of memory to swap?)

4. sysinstall Won't Let Me Partition wd1

5. Is swap space in SCO only swap space or is it consider virtual memory

6. Boune shell "*" problem

7. Swap memory , RAM memory and available space disk on a Sun MicroSystem under Solaris 2.6 ?

8. Request for ideas

9. 32 Meg Memory+64 Meg Swap = No free Memory

10. mm/memory.c, 2.4.1 : memory leak with swap cache (updated)

11. Low memory and no swap memory

12. Problem with Real memory and swap file

13. When memory is greater than swap space - Any performance problems?