Chmod question

Post by Victor M » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 01:10:38

Thanks in advance.

I did a "ls -l" on a directory as follows /mnt and it gave me the result
for the bin directory as follows:

drwxr -xr -x    2root   root    4096 June 10 19:17 bin

I believe the permissions are as follows for the USER part as follows:

d - directory
r - read
w - write
x - execute
r - ????

But what is the last r for ?? Thanks for taking the time to read this
message.

Victor

--
To reply please remove the "_NO_" and "_SPAM_" and replace cold with hot

Chmod question

Post by MM » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 01:15:55

> Thanks in advance.

> I did a "ls -l" on a directory as follows /mnt and it gave me the result
> for the bin directory as follows:

> drwxr -xr -x       2root   root    4096 June 10 19:17 bin

> I believe the permissions are as follows for the USER part as follows:

> d - directory
> r - read
> w - write
> x - execute
> r - ????

> But what is the last r for ?? Thanks for taking the time to read this
> message.

The last r? The permissions are as follows:

user: rwx
group: r-x
other: r-x

MM

Chmod question

Post by Victor M » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 02:52:35

Yes the last r in the USER part of the permissions section. I've boxed
the first part below.

Thanks again.

Victor

> > Thanks in advance.

> > I did a "ls -l" on a directory as follows /mnt and it gave me the result
> > for the bin directory as follows:
> > _______
> > |drwxr| -xr -x        2root   root    4096 June 10 19:17 bin
> > -------
> > I believe the permissions are as follows for the USER part as follows:

> > d - directory
> > r - read
> > w - write
> > x - execute
> > r - ????

> > But what is the last r for ?? Thanks for taking the time to read this
> > message.

> The last r? The permissions are as follows:

> user: rwx
> group: r-x
> other: r-x

> MM

Chmod question

Post by MM » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 03:04:02

> Yes the last r in the USER part of the permissions section. I've boxed
> the first part below.

I've already told you what that means. Let's try again:

drwxr-xr-x

d = directory;

User: rwx (read, write, execute)
Group: r-x (read, execute)
Other: r-x (read, execute)

There is no 'last r in the USER part of the permissions section'.

MM

Chmod question

Post by Victor M » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 03:14:29

Isn't the OTHER section simply -x ? The last x after the second hyphen.

Thanks.

Victor

> > Yes the last r in the USER part of the permissions section. I've boxed
> > the first part below.

> I've already told you what that means. Let's try again:

> drwxr-xr-x

> d = directory;

> User: rwx (read, write, execute)
> Group: r-x (read, execute)
> Other: r-x (read, execute)

> There is no 'last r in the USER part of the permissions section'.

> MM

Chmod question

Post by MM » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 03:20:13

> Isn't the OTHER section simply -x ? The last x after the second hyphen.

Aaaarrrggggghhhh!!

MM

Chmod question

Post by Paul Kimot » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 04:00:13

In article

>> drwxr-xr-x
> Isn't the OTHER section simply -x ? The last x after the second hyphen.

The hyphens do NOT separate the sections (which are run together without
separators).  They indicate that the relevant permission is "off".

--
Paul Kimoto
This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.  Any images,

Chmod question

Post by Victor M » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 04:23:34

I see so the permissions are all together without separators (hyphen).

Thanks for clearing that up.

Victor

> In article

> >> drwxr-xr-x
> > Isn't the OTHER section simply -x ? The last x after the second hyphen.

> The hyphens do NOT separate the sections (which are run together without
> separators).  They indicate that the relevant permission is "off".

Chmod question

Quote:> I see so the permissions are all together without separators (hyphen).

http://www.geek-girl.com/Unixhelp/tasks/under_perm2.html

--
use hotmail com for any email replies