loopback device in 2.4.16

Post by R Sean Eidemille » Thu, 06 Dec 2001 11:15:12

Howdy everybody!  I recently upgraded my RH7.2 box to the 2.4.16 kernel and
I was wondering if anyone else has run into the same problem that I have...
 I configured my kernel the same way I always do but when I reboot I get a
weird error message when it tries to initiailze the loopback device (lo).

"Cannot send dump request..."

Subsequently, it won't let me bring up eth0 no matter how nicely I ask.
I've tried bring up the loopback device manually with the following
command...

"ifup lo"

...but I get the same lousy error message.

Amy idears...?

Thanks in advance,

Sean

loopback device in 2.4.16

Post by J Haywar » Thu, 06 Dec 2001 13:17:20

> Howdy everybody!  I recently upgraded my RH7.2 box to the 2.4.16 kernel
> and I was wondering if anyone else has run into the same problem that I
> have...
>  I configured my kernel the same way I always do but when I reboot I get
> weird error message when it tries to initiailze the loopback device
> (lo).

> "Cannot send dump request..."

> Subsequently, it won't let me bring up eth0 no matter how nicely I ask.
> I've tried bring up the loopback device manually with the following
> command...

> "ifup lo"

> ...but I get the same lousy error message.

> Amy idears...?

> Thanks in advance,

> Sean

Did you get the source from kernel.org? I'm using 2.4.16-0.5 compiled from
the Rawhide kernel-source on my system without problems.

Might try upgrading your modutils package to the lastest from rawhide.I
believe modutils-2.4.12 is the latest.

Regards,
        Jim H

--
Visit the discussion board at:
http://www.getlinuxonline.com/cgi-bin/Discussion/YaBB.cgi

1. loopback device in 2.4.16

Howdy everybody!  I recently upgraded my RH7.2 box to the 2.4.16 kernel and
I was wondering if anyone else has run into the same problem that I have...
 I configured my kernel the same way I always do but when I reboot I get a
weird error message when it tries to initiailze the loopback device (lo).

"Cannot send dump request..."

Subsequently, it won't let me bring up eth0 no matter how nicely I ask.
I've tried bring up the loopback device manually with the following
command...

"ifup lo"

...but I get the same lousy error message.

Amy idears...?

Thanks in advance,

Sean

2. Solaris x86 2.4 && firewall sendmail problem

3. 2.4.16: hda9: attempt to access beyond end of device

4. Dual Pentium Pro

5. 2.4.16 not loading SCSI module

6. bind problems and installation

7. Patch: Fix serial module use count (2.4.16 _and_ 2.5)

8. IRC client?

9. oops with kjournald in SMP 2.4.16

10. settings differ from 2.2.17 to 2.4.16

11. 2.4.16

12. Bad EIP value on 2.4.16

13. 2.4.16 PPC [Success]