Netscape & "locale `C' not supported

Post by Charle » Sat, 26 Nov 1994 02:26:07

Hi all -

I'm trying to run netscape.B094, but continually get the following
message:

netscape: locale `C' not supported.
        Perhaps the $XNLSPATH environment variable is not set correctly?

Has anyone got this flying properly? set $XNLSPATH=/usr/lib/X11/nls
doesn't wanna do the trick.

 Charles Ashley
 Learned Information Ltd.

Netscape & "locale `C' not supported

Post by David C. Troy, Toad Computer » Mon, 28 Nov 1994 05:32:20

Quote:> Hi all -

> I'm trying to run netscape.B094, but continually get the following
> message:

> netscape: locale `C' not supported.
>    Perhaps the $XNLSPATH environment variable is not set correctly?

I get the same thing and have tried jumping through lots of hoops to set
the XNLSPATH and the XKEYSYMDB variables to all sorts of things...
I can't make anything stick. As it is neither XNLSPATH or XKEYSYMDB
are recognized so all the keys are messed up under Netscape.

I have my XKeysymDB file in /etc and in /usr/lib/X11 and other places.
For some reason Netscape can't find it. Any ideas?

Dave Troy
Toad Computers
America's Atari Source
(800) 448-8623
(410) 544-6943

Post by Mark Denovi » Tue, 29 Nov 1994 06:29:40

: I have my XKeysymDB file in /etc and in /usr/lib/X11 and other places.
: For some reason Netscape can't find it. Any ideas?

Put it in /usr/X386/lib/X11.   Or just link X386 to X11R6.   The Netscape
binary is linked with the R5 sharedlibs and thats where they look for the
Xkeysymdb file.

        -Mark

Netscape & "locale `C' not supported

Post by Jamie Zawins » Tue, 29 Nov 1994 07:51:42

Quote:

>> netscape: locale `C' not supported.
>>        Perhaps the $XNLSPATH environment variable is not set correctly?

> I get the same thing and have tried jumping through lots of hoops to set
> the XNLSPATH and the XKEYSYMDB variables to all sorts of things...
> I can't make anything stick. As it is neither XNLSPATH or XKEYSYMDB
> are recognized so all the keys are messed up under Netscape.

I think this may be because the linux versions of setlocale() and/or
XSupportsLocale() are stubbed out, and always return an error code for all
locales (instead of returning a non-error-code for the no-op "C" locale.)
I haven't investigated, though.  The warning is ignorable.

--

``A unix signature isn't a return address, it's the ASCII equivalent of a black
  velvet clown painting.  It's a rectangle of carets surrounding a quote from a

Post by Trevor Fiat » Sat, 03 Dec 1994 11:19:01

Quote:

>I think this may be because the linux versions of setlocale() and/or
>XSupportsLocale() are stubbed out, and always return an error code for all
>locales (instead of returning a non-error-code for the no-op "C" locale.)
>I haven't investigated, though.  The warning is ignorable.

True, Jamie, but it's *y annoying.  I fire off Netscape at least a dozen
times a day, and it gets old by the 50th or 60th iteration.  Please can we
get this fixed in Linux Beta 0.95?  Pleeeeeze?

Trevor

BTW, great flame on the "Netscape FONTS - arrghhh" thread.
I rather enjoyed it.

---

 Perfect Wave Consulting: HTML+ Content services for the World Wide Web
   MIME and PGP mail welcome---flames welcome if amusing or creative
________Visit my home page: http://www.veryComputer.com/~taf/__________

1. RH 7.0 Acrobat Reader 'locale not supported"

Gentle folks,

I installed the linux version or Adobe Acrobat Reader.  Everything
works fine except I get the message (in a seperate popup box),
"Warning: locale not supported by C library, locale unchanged"

Has anyone else discovered this and is there a solution?

Thanks in advance.

Lewis

2. compilation error

3. locale not supported, XNLSPATH not set, netscape

4. Better telnet?

5. Why "Warning locale not supported"?

6. 90.00: SunFlash June 1996

7. Argh!: "Locale not supported by C library"

8. Partition check locks up

9. "locale not supported by C library" ???

10. "locale not supported"-- what does it mean

11. FIX: 'locale not supported' error

12. current locale is not supported in X11, locale is set to CX

13. X error: locale not supported by C library, locale unchanged