Bad Blocks on IDE drive, fsck doesn't fix it

Bad Blocks on IDE drive, fsck doesn't fix it

Post by Derek Atki » Thu, 31 Mar 1994 15:39:37

Hi.

I'm running Slackware 1.1.2, with the Linux 1.0 kernel.  I have 2 IDE
drives, and a SCSI tape backup.  A couple days ago I tried to make a
full backup of my system onto tape, and I noticed that four files
didn't copy properly, remnants of bad blocks on the hard drive.

So, I decided to try to get fsck to find and fix the bad blocks, but
running fsck -a (or e2fsck -a) on the drive didn't help.  So, I tried
to get Ted T'so's new alpha e2fsck, and I tried to use that, but when
I ran that with "e2fsck -c /dev/hdb2", it would go off and run
badblocks (which is what it is supposed to do), and then I'd get a lot
of HD read_intr: status/error messages, and then get an HD read_error
on the device (and it would give a sector number.. 38600, I believe).
It would then go through this again and give the same sector, then it
would go through it again and give a different sectore (38841, I
think), and then again repeat the cycle with this sector.  After that,
control seemed to return to e2fsck, even though it didn't run through
the whole disk!

I am currently running badblocks by hand.

Has anyone else seen this problem, or know of an easy way to fix bad
blocks?  (I thought they were supposed to get automatically remapped?)

Grated, the four files that are affected by this aren't anything
important, and I can easily replace them (they are just off the
distribution, so I can just untar that file again).  However, I'd like
to fix the bad blocks so I don't lose any of my files.

(On another note: I noticed today that there is a new release of Ted's
ext2fs tools, so I plan to grab a new copy of this tonight if I can't
get it to work when I get back home).

Any ideas?  Thanks ahead of time for your help.

-derek
--
         Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, G MIT Media Laboratory
       Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board (SIPB)

Post by Juergen Pra » Mon, 04 Apr 1994 21:27:04

>Hi.
>I'm running Slackware 1.1.2, with the Linux 1.0 kernel.  I have 2 IDE
>drives, and a SCSI tape backup.  A couple days ago I tried to make a
>full backup of my system onto tape, and I noticed that four files
>didn't copy properly, remnants of bad blocks on the hard drive.

[description of using e2fsck deleted...]

Quote:>Has anyone else seen this problem, or know of an easy way to fix bad
>blocks?  (I thought they were supposed to get automatically remapped?)

[...]

Quote:>Any ideas?  Thanks ahead of time for your help.

IDE drives are by definition error free and should remap bad blocks
with good spare ones. If they don't, there are probably too much bad
blocks on the drive and spare ones exhausted.

This typically is a case of manufacturer guarantee. I had such a
problem last year with a 10 month old Seagate drive and got a
replacement drive from my distributor.

Juergen
--

   University of Duisburg  |********************************************
   Electrical Engineering  |     Logic is a systematic method of coming

Post by Daniel Roge » Tue, 05 Apr 1994 03:35:26

Quote:>Has anyone else seen this problem, or know of an easy way to fix bad
>blocks?  (I thought they were supposed to get automatically remapped?)

Try (with the drive NOT mounted (or r/o), of course) e2fsck -acfv

This will automatically check for bad blocks, even if the file system is
already marked as clean, and be verbose about it.
--
Daniel Rogers                   |  "Good tea, nice house." - Worf

1. HELP: Can't boot, fsck doesn't fix HD

Sometime last evening my Linux box (Trans Ameritech linux 1.0) was
happily sitting as a node on the Internet when it died with an error
which indicated the kernel could not read an inode.

This morning we booted up using floppies and tried to repair the
damage to the hard disk using both e2fsck and fsck. I should note that
we could mount the disk and look at files, even run programs from it.

e2fsck gives the following error message and then dies (this may
not be exact format since I got this info over the phone):

e2fsck:  Can't read next inode while doing inode scan

OK, so we try fsck and get the following

fsck.minix: Bad magic number on superblock

At this point we are stuck a since we don't know how to fix this error.
We don't know how to find the inode and maybe try to remove it, we can't
back up to floppies since the boot disks won't let us mount on /dev/fd0
(though we are still trying), and we clearly have a hard disk with the
majority of data still good on it, so we don't want to trash it by
reinstalling the whole show.

Can someone help and suggest where to go next with this?? We need a solution
fast.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Netsurfer Communications                    Netsurfer Digest
http://www.netsurf.com/nsd/index.html       "More Signal, Less Noise"

2. local user account can't log in

3. fsck won't run-Vol Mgr 2.6-Bad Super Blocks!

4. Need help on my sound card

5. Bad blocks on IDE drive

6. DOSEmu and Logitech mouse problem

7. bad partition on good disk won't mount or fsck (bad magic number/superblock)

8. Do you 'play' or 'work' with Linux?

9. My bad blocks aren't getting marked bad ...

10. Bad block in /var,fsck fails.

11. How can I fsck a HD with bad super block

12. Bad block ,restore , fsck ...

13. Bad Disk Blocks with fsck???