group 0 not in group?

Post by Vincent » Fri, 10 Feb 1995 04:57:30

Greetings!
  I've just got the Slackware 2.0 distribution Linux set up on my second
HD (/dev/hdb) on my 486. I used the bare & color144 and followed the
instructions to created the boot floppy. All seems fine except when I
boot off the floppy, the first time it seems to be able to mount /dev/hdb1
and /dev/hdb2 fine, but complained about the /hdb2 with bunch of error
messages. (I partitioned /hdb with 3 partitions: /hdb1 as the system with
186M mounted the /, /hdb2 with 200M with /home mounted, and /hdb3 as
the swap with 20M, which accounts for all 406M on the Connor drive which
I want to be exclusively used for Linux. Both the hdb1 and hdb2 are
set up as ext2fs and primary.)
   Now, the readme's seems to say if I see the error messages, I should
reboot to pick up the changes and what not by ext2. If I don't reboot,
I seem to be able to run the whole system as if everything seems ok.
But if I do a "shutdown -r now" to reboot, /hdb2 can't seem to get mounted
and I get the messages:

Block bitmap 0 for group 0 not in group

fsck returned error code - REBOOT NOW!

But, if I reboot it doesn't help at all and I just get the same messages.
If I try to mount the /hdb2 manually, it seems to complain about /etc/mtab~
exist and locked. What's happening?

System data: 8M RAM, 486/66DX, DOS 6.1, primary HD: WDC-AC2850 800M partitioned
in to C: and D: of about 400M each. (By the way, the Linux fdisk also
complains about the physical cyl not start at 1 or something like that on
the /hda = C:/D: drive. Does it has something to do with it being partitioned
with the DOS FDISK? Any way around it? Everything on that one is DOS, but
I would like to have it partitioned as two 400M drives rather than one big
drive if I can avoid it. The second partition there is Ext with the D: being
the logical).

Linux kernal: installed scsikern from the Slackware. I've tried the idekern
  before and that didn't seem to make any difference.
I did notice when initially log in the HOSTTYPE env var is set to i386.
Should it be i486?

Thanks for any pointers!

-- Vince

---------------------------------------

   (o)    ox   (o_,    o_,    o     o      o      o_,
    )     )'    )_,    )_'    )\    ),    <)      ) '
    >\    >^'   >      > '    >}    >^     >~'   / >

1. cannot set up UMASK or groups so that users from one group cannot access other groups

Hi

First let me describe what I would like to set up to clarify things:

Scenario:

I would like to set up 3 groups, lets call them A, B, C. Users from A should
have access files created by users in B or C. Users in B or C cannot access
files created by users in A. Also users in B or C should not have access to
each others files.

How would I set up Umask to handle this? I've tried to create a primary
group for all and secondary groups to reflect the permissions I'm after, but
to no avail.

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.

Jon

2. generic_file_read

3. grouping a group to a group?

4. output of UNIX shell commands without headers

5. Keeping groups, groups and groups straight

6. Netscape releases source code

7. GROUPS CONTAINING OTHER GROUPS (/etc/group)

8. Ranges in AWK (file name is two lines down)

9. /etc/group groups inside of groups?

10. user and group management - how to emulate groups into groups in linux ?

11. e2fsck 0.5a -> error: Block bitmap nn for group yy not in group

12. e2fsck: block bitmap 0 for group 0 not in group?