HOW? - Aptiva MWave (modem - sound) card on linux.

HOW? - Aptiva MWave (modem - sound) card on linux.

Post by The Tic » Fri, 13 Oct 2000 04:00:00

How can i use my Mwave modem - sound card (an isa card with modem 28.8 + 16
bit sound) on linux?

I have an IBM Aptiva DX4 100Mhz

Post by robert w hal » Fri, 13 Oct 2000 04:00:00

>>How can i use my Mwave modem - sound card (an isa card with modem 28.8 + 16
>>bit sound) on linux?

>>I have an IBM Aptiva DX4 100Mhz

>Not possible, not supported, never will be, forget it ;)

>www.linmodems.org will explain why.

er, 'ang on - you can get the sound chip on a stinkpad 755ce, (ie using
an mwave dsp on a laptop of similar antiquity to your aptiva), going by
initialising the dsp in dos then booting linux via loadlin...

this is a well-documented technique...
Bob

--
robert w hall

1. Linix on IBM Aptiva with MWave sound card/modem

Has anyone successfully configured Linux on an IBM Aptiva with
MWave Sound Card/28K Modem?  If so, I'd really love to hear from
you.

I've got my system up and running with X-Windows (though I had to
use the vga-16 X-Server because the SVGA one doesn't seem to support
the Trident 9680igx chip) but am having problems on the TCP/IP end.

My main problem is that I can't get Linux to talk to the modem.
The modem is configured on Comm Port 1 on /dev/cua0 and the
setserial -bg /dev/cua0 or setserial -bg /dev/modem commands both
tell me the proper IRQ and address.  I'm running out of ideas here.

The system is using the IBM MWave Sound Card and modem (all wrapped
into one).  Is this hardware supported?  If not, is it in the works?
Do I need a later version of Linux?  (I'm using the one supplied in
the August Infomagic release)

I'm thinking that perhaps I am running into a problem due to the
fact that I have a Sound Card and modem all in one.

Well if anyone has any information or ideas, I sure would appreciate
it.  I've been spinning my wheels for days.

Thanks in advance and apologies if I left out some crucial piece
of information...

- Pat

= Patrick E. Martin    | I do not speak for AT&T and vice versa.  |
= Consultant, UCS AT&T |==========================================|

2. Unix programming question

3. IBM Aptiva: Mwave modem/soundcard using with Linux.

4. java core dump on 5.0RC2

5. Linux on Aptiva 78 with MWave card

6. crypt and vi -x

7. Mwave modem and IBM Aptiva

8. All distributions keep rebooting when i try to install

9. IBM Aptiva Mwave Modem

10. Aptiva MWave (Audio and Modem)

11. IBM Aptiva MWAVE modem

12. How to Dialup using IBM Aptiva MWAVE card ?

13. IBM Aptiva M71, Mwave card, recognition problems