Audiowave (ESS) soundcard help needed for linux/dos/windows

Audiowave (ESS) soundcard help needed for linux/dos/windows

Post by Glenn Tri » Wed, 29 Mar 1995 08:47:55

I have some questions regarding a sound-card I bought as a multimedia
upgrade kit last year.
The sound-card is called an "Audio Wave green 16" made by Audiowave
Technologies Inc. inside it uses an ESS AudioDrive ES688 chip.
This seems to be reasonably uncommon in the USA judging from the lack
of info in the soundcard FAQ.
My questions are regarding it's operation under Linux, Dos and
Windows.

Firstly I will include the Introduction and the board specification
from the manual...

                         Introduction
    The Audiowave Green 16 is a 16-bit sound board for the IBM or
compatible personal computer. This sound board make full use of the
latest audio chip from ESS(tm) AudioDrive family of audio chips,
ES688, which provides stereo capabilities and a five-channel mixer.

    The sound board is fully compatible with Sound Blaster(tm), Sound
Blaster Pro(tm), Adlib(tm) and Microsoft Windows Sound System(tm).

    This sound board can mix, compress, read and playback, sound and
music. Besides standard features, the sound board also provide an
advanced power management circuit with automatic wake-up.

    The sound board also provides Multi-CD ROM drive interfaces
supporting major CD-ROM models such as Panasonic, Sony, and Mitsumi
drives. An Optional daughterboard upgrade for SCSI Level 1 or SCSI
Level 2 is also available.

                   Sound Board Specification

    The Audiowave Green 16 Sound Board uses a single, mixed-signal,
16-bit stereo, VLSI chip with advance power management for adding
audio to desktop PCs. The sound board can record, compress, and play-
back voice, sound and music with mixer controls. It consists of an
embed- ded microprocessor, 16-bit A/D and D/A converter, DMA control,
internal programmable memory and timer as well as custom logic and PC
bus interface logic.

1.  Compatibility

     Microsoft Windows Sound System V.2.0
     Sound Blaster Pro 1.0/2.0/3.0
     Sound Blaster 1.0/2.0
     Adlib

2.  Digital Sound Capabilities

     8 / 16-bit audio stereo/mono recording and playback from 5kHz to
     44.1kHz
     Support ADPCM standards as well as ESPCM compression for lower
     bit rates.
     Multiple audio sources recording.

3.  Stereo Music Synthesizer

     Enhance 4-operator Yamaha YMF262 FM technology (OPL3)
     20-voice full stereo
     Built-in Sound Blaster MIDI interface
     Upgradable with professional wave-table synthesizer

4.  Stereo Digital/Analog Mixer for Multiple Audio Source

     Supports 4 channel stereo analog mixing for digital recording. (CD-
     Audio, Line-ln, FM music, and Mono Microphone)
     Support 5 channel stereo analog mixing for playback. (CD-Audio,
     Line-In, FM music, Digital Voice, and Mono Microphone)
     Programmable input volume control ranging from -22dB to OdB at
     1.5dB step.
     Programmable output volume control ranging from -40dB to 6dB at
     3dB step.

5.  Advance Power Management Circuit with Automatic wake-up on I/O activities

6.  Built-in  Multiple CD-ROM Interfaces

     Supports Panasonic's AT-BUS CD-ROM drive (CR-522/523, CR-563)
     Supports Sony AT-BUS CD-ROM drive (CDU31A, CDU33A)
     Support Mitsumi AT-BUS CD-ROM drive (LU-OO1, LU-005, FX-001,
     FX-005)
     Support optional SCSI I or SCSI II daughterboard for SCSI CD-ROM
     Drives.

7.  Power Amplifier

     4-Watt RMS per channel stereo power amplifier with 4ohm load.
     Class B amplifier with typical 0.1% distortion
     Seperate Line-out to drive high quality headphone and amplifier

8.  Joystick/Game Port, MIDI Port

9.  Software Selectable IRQ and DMA

First the linux question...
When I type "cat </dev/sndstat" I get the following;

Config options: 35c02

Installed drivers:
Type 1: OPL-2/OPL-3 FM
Type 2: SoundBlaster
Type 6: SoundBlaster16
Type 7: SB16 MIDI

Card config:
SoundBlaster at 0x220 irq 7 drq 1
(SoundBlaster16 at 0x220 irq 7 drq 6)
(SB16 MIDI at 0x330 irq 7 drq 0)
OPL-2/OPL-3 FM at 0x388 irq 0 drq 0

PCM devices:
0: SoundBlaster Pro 3.1

Synth devices:
0: Yamaha OPL-3

Midi devices:
0: SoundBlaster

MIDI Timers:
0: System Timer

1 mixer(s) installed
I think that means that although the kernel is configured to have a
16-bit SoundBlaster it doesn't think it really is available.
This seems to be the case when I play doom as the sound (which is 16
bit in linux doom) sounds awful.
I think this must have something to do with the IRQ for the 16bit part
of the board, and, in fact, it seems that this board doesn't require a
separate IRQ for that?

So, is there another driver I can use which better supports the ESS
chip or is there a way I can make the SoundBlaster driver work
properly for 16-bit sounds?

The DOS question is similar to the Linux question...
When I tried to set up "Return of the Triad" (doom like game from
Apogee) to use 16-bit sound it also asked for a different IRQ value
which I couldn't give. Trying different values didn't work so I had to
resort to 8-bit sound.
Also, when I boot my machine the CDROM doesn't normally get
"connected" to the on board amplifier. This means I have to start
Windoze and quit before I can play any music using the sound-card
speakers.

Are there any DOS based utilities out there which support the ESS chip
and can connect the CDROM to the amplifier on the sound card?

Now for the Windows question...
Although the sound-card came with drivers for windows (and some
utility programs) I have experienced fairly flaky operation with most
applicatios which make extensive use of sound as well as CD(data)
access.

Myst crashes frequently as does the recently accquired Kings Quest
VII.
Does anyone know where I can get updated or improved Windows drivers
for this sound card?

Sorry for the lengthy post but too much information might help more
than not enough.

Glenn Trigg

--

                The Preston Group                       Ph:  +61 3 428 8899
                488 Victoria Street                     Fax: +61 3 427 1969

1. <help>Linux newbies need help with CD and soundcard<help>

We recenly got Linux with Xwindows running on our 486. The CD
worked fine till we got Win****95 on our DOS partition. Now we
cant get our TEAC CD-55 working on our Soundblaster Pro card. I
heard something about a Sound HOW-TO but Sunsite's got major
data loss, so we couldnt find it. Is there anyone out there
that could help us get our CD or soundcard working??

-Thanks
-2 linux newbies

2. gnu tar / rmt problem

3. HELP with ESS Maestro II Chipset Soundcard

4. Home Linux to Slip account<<Addressable machine? HoW

5. HELP with Soundcard using a ESS Maestro II Chipset

6. Warning: No shared object support for Apache

7. Sound help: ESS 1969-based embedded soundcard

8. Configuration file interpetation

9. Help with soundcard wtih ESS Maestro-II chipset

10. Sound help: ESS 1969-based embedded soundcard

11. HELP with soundcard wtih ESS Maestro-II chipset

12. Reg. ESS soundcard on Redhat linux 4.0 (kernel 2.0.30)

13. Does Linux support the ESS Allegro-1 or Maestro 3 soundcard?