Can't use CDROM drive??

Post by andrec » Tue, 23 Oct 2001 07:25:42

hi all,

I need some help to setup a CDROM for a Dell Latitude LS series.

I already finished my installation of SuSE7.2.  During the
installation, I was forced to pick a CDROM from a limited list.  I
just pick the Sony535.  When kernel boots, it does see the correct
CDROM - "hda:  Toshiba XM-1902B ATAPI...".  However, KDE just doesn't
see the CDROM.  I used YaST and it does not help as I don't see the
Toshiba cdrom driver from the list.  What am I supposed to do next?

Thanks in advance

Can't use CDROM drive??

Post by Steve Kirkendal » Tue, 23 Oct 2001 13:23:32

> hi all,

> I need some help to setup a CDROM for a Dell Latitude LS series.

> I already finished my installation of SuSE7.2.  During the
> installation, I was forced to pick a CDROM from a limited list.  I
> just pick the Sony535.  When kernel boots, it does see the correct
> CDROM - "hda:  Toshiba XM-1902B ATAPI...".  However, KDE just doesn't
> see the CDROM.  I used YaST and it does not help as I don't see the
> Toshiba cdrom driver from the list.  What am I supposed to do next?

The Sony535 was just about the first CDROM drive ever -- old, obsolete,
1X drive with a proprietary interface.  In fact, *ALL* of those CDROM
drives from that "short list" are obsolete drives with proprietary
interfaces, except for the generic SCSI and ATAPI EIDE choices.

Your CDROM drive uses an ATAPI EIDE interface, so it has a /dev/hd?
name, just like an IDE hard disk.  From your quote above, it appears
to be /dev/hda which is a pretty weird configuration.  /dev/hda is
the master drive on the primary controller, which 99% of the computers
use for the main hard disk.  The CDROM drive is usually /dev/hdc, the
primary drive on the secondary controller.  Perhaps you accidentally
swapped the two IDE ribbon cables on your motherboard at some point.

Whatever.  Linux systems usually like to have a symbolic link named
"/dev/cdrom" pointing to the CDROM drive, and SuSE's YaST configuration
tool has a way to do that.  Login as root, run "yast", select
"System Administration" and then "Integrate hardware into the system",
and then "CD/DVD configuration".  Choose "ATAPI EIDE", and then
"On Controller 0 as master".  (Most people would select "Controller 1
as master".)

1. ide cdrom and cdrom writer with scsi harddisk using cdrecord can't find cd reader

I have a scsi controller with the primary harddisk (id 0) and 2 ide cdrom
drives. When using xcdroast (cdrecord) it only shows the cd recorder and not
the other ide cdrom. Loaded modules are scsi-ide and sg. The system shows
both drives found and the cd writer is assigned a scsi device, but xcdroast
does not show the reader.

2. learning

3. It's not bad canned meat...

4. Boot Issue

5. 2 * QQLISpHcd-Compiling shared lib with native Sun compiler (cc, aka, CC)

6. 'boot cdrom' - how to install tape drive to perform ufsrestore

7. Q: Search Robot

8. mcd should wait longer before reporting 'no cdrom in drive'

9. can't install LINUX, DOS can't find CDROM drive (WIN95)

10. CDROM drive under RedHat 6.0 'appears confused'

11. Duplicating a SCSI drive using 'dd'

12. using 'exetoc' on EXB 8500 tape drives