Dell Dimension xps p90 PCI-IDE 515 hd not recognized by boot

Dell Dimension xps p90 PCI-IDE 515 hd not recognized by boot

Post by Robert L Cart » Mon, 14 Nov 1994 13:02:46

Hi, I recently bought a P-90 from dell...Dimension xps p90.  In it is a
ide hard drive that is connected to the PCI bus on the motherboard.  I'm

in the process of tring to install linux and when I hit enter after
the initial boot prompt eventually I get this message.

hd.c: ST-506 interface disk with more than 16 heads detected, probably
due to non-standard sector tranlation.  Giving up.
disk 0; cly=5221, sect=63, head=31

I used fips to partition my harddrive into 100 meg dos and 415 waiting
to become linux.  Currently I'm using the modern boot but I've tried the
bare boot also with no luck :(

Is there a better boot somewhere I should be using or what is my
problem.

Ad-->Thanks<--vance

Rob Carter

--
Robert L Carter

<
<in the process of tring to install linux and when I hit enter after
<the initial boot prompt eventually I get this message.
<
<hd.c: ST-506 interface disk with more than 16 heads detected, probably
<due to non-standard sector tranlation.  Giving up.
<disk 0; cly=5221, sect=63, head=31

Get a newer kernel/bootdisk and try again.  This was fixed eons ago.
--

1. Dell Dimension XPS/P90 able to run Solaris 2.4 x86?

I've tried to install Solaris x86 on a Dell Dimension XPS/P90 without
success.

The machine has a 540 meg ide drive. I don't let the bios do its
remapping, instead I specify the drive parameters as written on the
label (Western Digital Cavair 2540, 1048 cyl, 16 hds, 63 spt).

The cdrom (Sony CDU 55E v1.0p) is ide based too. (At least I think
that is what it means when the cdrom is connected to a header on the
motherboard.

32 Meg of ram.

#9GXE PCI video card.

I boot the Driver update #4 boot disk.

At the prompt, I specify boot from CD.

At the prompt, I specify interactive boot.

SunOS 5.4 starts booting (I see the rotating \|/- sequence), lots of
floppy and cdrom activity, the screen does a slight flash (reset I
guess), more rotating \|/- for a bit, then the system

panics: page fault
BAD TRAP

with a register dump (Which I can duplicate if necessary).

Any suggestions?

Kind regards,

Larry

2. Cardbus slots disappear when booting from pcmcia.

3. Dell Dimension XPS P90 and Linux

4. natd problem with -redirect address

5. Dell Dimension XPS P90 opinions & compatibility info sought

6. How to check e-mail through a Proxy?

7. Linux on Dell Dimension XPS P90

8. Computer freezes

9. Dell Dimension + IDE HD + IDE CDROM + 2940 SCSI = PROBLEM???

10. OS/2 WARP and DELL XPS P90 **** DON'T BUY DELL'S PC!!!

11. OS/2 WARP and DELL XPS P90 **** BUY DELL'S PC!!!

12. Highpoint HPT366 IDE PCI Card-HD not recognize,how come??

13. Linux On Dell Dimension XPS R450