TAR and File Archiving

Post by Cerber » Sat, 21 Jan 1995 00:38:24

I'm attempting to use the TAR and GZIP utilities to be able to compress
and archive files onto a floppy disk.  I am running into problems agetting
tar to break up the volumes into ~2 meg chunks so gzip can compress
them to fit onto a floppy.

Does anyone know the syntax I would use for turniung
/usr/X11R6/* into aan archive that would fit on floppies (1.44MB)

I tried
tar cfML /dev/FD0H1440 XF31.tar *
but, it only gave me an error message.

If anyone has experience working with this program, please drop me a piece
of e-mail.

Thanks in advance

-dave

1. Extracting files with tar and uncompress fails with tar: Archive - EOF not on block boundary

Hi,

Two(2) tared then compressed files were created using the following in
a directory where there are a few hundred files on a Sun Solaris 2.6
server:

tar -cvf - [a-k]* 2> /tq03/backup/backup_$dd/data_ltoz.log$dd | \
  compress -cf > /tq03/backup/backup_$dd/data_ltoz_$dd.$SID.Z

tar -cvf - [l-z]* 2> /tq03/backup/backup_$dd/data_ltoz.log$dd | \
  compress -cf > /tq03/backup/backup_$dd/data_ltoz_$dd.$SID.Z

I run the following commands to extract the files on a different
server (still Solaris 2.6) in a different directory than the files are
from:

uncompress -cf /tq01/clone_source/oradata/data_atok_020202.prod.Z |
tar xvf –

uncompress -cf /tq01/clone_source/oradata/data_ltoz_020202.prod.Z |
tar xvf –

The first is successfully extracted but during the 2nd extract of the
following error is returned:

Several files successfully extracted…
system01.dbf
system02.dbf
system03.dbf
system04.dbf
tar: Archive - EOF not on block boundary
erpdev:/tq01/test/testdata$

Does anyone have any ideas on how to extract the files?  I am thinking
data_ltoz_020202.prod.Z is corrupt, hope not but have not found
another reason for the error.  Ran tar tzvf data_ltoz_020202.prod.Z
and get the same error.

TIA,
Tad Stephens

2. SCO Open Desktop

3. Extracting files from multivolume tar archive made with SCO tar

4. Intel EtherExpress Pro

5. Can tar add files to .tar.gz archives ?

6. Voodoo3 3000 PCI with OptiQuest V75

7. using a list file to extract files from a tar archive

8. bug

9. ufsdump archive --> tar archive ?

10. tar: Hmm, this doesn't look like a tar archive

11. How to chop up an archive.tar.Z file like in the X distributions?

12. extract single file from tar gz archive

13. extracting files from a tar archive