Printing to an Apple Stylewriter II?

Post by Roy M. Turn » Tue, 18 Oct 1994 21:25:27

Hi folks,

I would like to use my laptop (running linux, of course) to print to my Apple
StyleWriter II.  I've looked in the Printing and Serial HOWTO's, but can't
seem to make any headway.

I have a cable that seems to work -- at least, I can communicate with my
Macintosh using it between the laptop's and the Mac's serial ports (though
it's an ugly beastie, consisting of a PC modem cable, a gender changer, a null
modem, and a Mac modem cable all hooked together).  I have tried using
GhostScript, with the device bj200.  When I do something like:
        gs -sDEVICE=bj200 -sOutputFile=/dev/ttyS0 foo.ps
GhostScript chugs away for a while, then says it has done a showpage and
requests a return.  The printer, meanwhile, has done a good imitation of a
rock.  I've tried permutations of this (using /dev/mouse, e.g., and making gs
produce a file and cat'ing it to the serial port directly), but no luck.

What am I missing?  Has anyone had any luck with this?

Thanks a lot.
        --Roy

--
Roy M. Turner
Department of Computer Science

Phone: (603)862-2980           FAX: (603)862-3493

Post by Michael Sulliv » Wed, 19 Oct 1994 07:07:55

> I have a cable that seems to work -- at least, I can communicate with my
> Macintosh using it between the laptop's and the Mac's serial ports (though
> it's an ugly beastie, consisting of a PC modem cable, a gender changer, a null
> modem, and a Mac modem cable all hooked together).  I have tried using
> GhostScript, with the device bj200.  When I do something like:

I would first try to use the printer as a dumb ascii device and get that
working. Look at the stylewriter manual.... it may have a "dumb" ascii mode
and that should be checked (since its the clone of a popular inkjet I
imagine that would work.....
Mike

Printing to an Apple Stylewriter II?

Post by Henry Cha » Wed, 19 Oct 1994 17:32:33

Quote:

>Hi folks,

>I would like to use my laptop (running linux, of course) to print to my Apple
>StyleWriter II.  I've looked in the Printing and Serial HOWTO's, but can't
>seem to make any headway.

This may or may not help you.  About a month back, I tried connecting
my HP DeskWriter (for the Mac) to my PC.  I believe all I used was a
mac modem cable (Din-8 to 25 pin) and a null modem cable (25 pin to
9 pin).  I was able to spuriously get text to the printer using

cat file > /dev/ttyS0

Well, I couldn't get ghostscript to work, so I called HP tech support.
They told me two things:

(1) The HP Deskwriter has an RS-422 interface, and according to the manual,
    cannot be hooked to an RS-232 interface (the ones on PC's).  I thought
    that I could fool the differential RS-422 side, but I guess I was
    only sometimes lucky.  Well, I figured with 4 IC's, I could build the
    proper converter.
(2) The more serious problem they said is that the HP Deskwriter has some
    sort of quicktime engine inside which makes it specific for the Mac.
    And unfortunately, I do not believe that ghostview can dump for this
    kind of format.  They told me that had I bought a Desk Jet for the PC,
    a third party manufacturer makes a cable to connect that to a Mac along
    with a Mac driver, but not vice versa for the Desk Writer.

Well, I gave up.

It may be the case that you encounter the same problems with the
stylewriter.  If you get it to work, though, I'd love to hear about how
you did it.

                                                        -Henry
--

UC Berkeley Graduate Student                                 Berkeley, CA

1. (repeated) Printing to an Apple StyleWriter II?

Hi folks,

Has anyone had any luck printing from Linux to an Apple StyleWriter II?  I've
got everything set up like I should--I think--as if the printer were a Canon
Bubblejet.  However, when I have ghostscript send it data, the printer does
absolutely nothing.

Any help, hints, etc., appreciated.  I'd rather not sell a perfectly good
printer if I can avoid it.

Thanks.

--
Roy M. Turner
Department of Computer Science
Kingsbury Hall, University of New Hampshire, Durham, NH 03824

Phone: (603)862-2980           FAX: (603)862-3493

2. How to create /dev/log ?

3. Printer Apple StyleWriter II

4. Which X Server Support 3dfx V3 3000?

5. Apple Stylewriter II and Linux

6. Problem with abyss driver in 2.4.2 and newer kernels

7. Printing on a Apple StyleWriter

8. Xfree3.x problem

9. Printing to Apple StyleWriter?

10. Apple Stylewriter won't print

11. Laptop printing with Apple LaserWriter II NTX??

12. Laptop printing w/ Apple LaserWriter II NTX??

13. Printing problem: To Apple Laser Writer II, printcap file?