WANTED: Linux Programmer

Post by James Ullm » Sun, 08 May 1994 04:01:15

Hi,

(Sorry about the first screw-up)

I'm looking for somebody to write a quick Linux program for me.
I've only changed over to Linux in the last 2 weeks and I'm hooked.
I've given up on Windows and DOS.  It's Linux now 14 hours a day.

What I want is a short program that will tell me when somebody has
fingerd, ftpd or telnetd me. Sounds easy so far does'nt it?
Ok, even though I've only been on the system a couple of weeks
I'm not stupid.  I know there is a /var/adm/messages.  I want
something more. I want something that will beep (like Ctrl-G)
my Linux box and message (like shutdown does) to the screen as soon
as somebody does one of the above three.

Can it be done?  I've got a lot of ideas but no knowledge in
programming. Like maybe use wall or write and taking the variable
with their hostname into the line that will go on the screen.
Example:

Thanks ahead of time !

Jim

WANTED: Linux Programmer

Post by James Ullm » Sun, 08 May 1994 21:52:20

**If your going to respond via Email please include YOUR Email address.

Thanks ahead of time !

Jim

WANTED: Linux Programmer

Post by Marc Fraio » Mon, 09 May 1994 03:30:38

Quote:>What I want is a short program that will tell me when somebody has
>fingerd, ftpd or telnetd me. Sounds easy so far does'nt it?
>Ok, even though I've only been on the system a couple of weeks
>I'm not stupid.  I know there is a /var/adm/messages.  I want
>something more. I want something that will beep (like Ctrl-G)
>my Linux box and message (like shutdown does) to the screen as soon
>as somebody does one of the above three.

Try running: /usr/bin/X11/xconsole -file /var/adm/messages -tail

This will create a console window under X, and anything that gets written
to /var/adm/messages will also show up in the console window.  It won't
beep, but it's close.  This will tell you what machine the connection came
from, since Linux uses tcpd, but it won't tell you the user who made that
connection.  That is essentially impossible to do reliably.  If you want,
you can get the sources to tcpd (ftp.cert.org, called something like
tcp_wrappers.) and re-compile using ident lookup all the time.  But if
the remote machine isn't running identd, you're out of luck (and most aren't).
Also, make sure you don't ident back at ident requests coming to you, or
you'll get stuck in a loop.  This is the way I have mine set up, and it
works pretty nicely.

---
Marc Fraioli          | "They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist- "

                      |    Battle of Spotsylvania Court House, U.S. Civil War

WANTED: Linux Programmer

Post by Geoff S » Wed, 11 May 1994 06:44:15

I'm sure there is a client process available in source form that monitors
all TCP activity - including finger. Cant think of it's name tho...

--
Geoff Sim

WANTED: Linux Programmer

Post by Paul Bun » Thu, 12 May 1994 02:54:11

Get Network Administrator's Guide from the Linux Documentation
Project. There you will find a mention of tcpd --- tcp service
wrapper. You just put this daemon in your /etc/services file instead
of the suspicious service daemons (fingerd, etc), and pass the actual
daemon's name through the command line. Then you can ask tcpd to
perform any addditional action, like sending you mail or beeping.

Instead of LDP you can try reading usual man tcpd --- Slackware has
this page.

Good luck!

(If you'll make it work, let me know --- I will install  it too).

Paul.

--
[    Paul Bunyk, Ph.D. student (and part-time system administrator)     ]

[     (516)632-8060, Physics, SUNY - Stony Brook, NY, 11794-3800        ]

1. WANTED: Linux Programmer

Hi,

[...]

2. lpd dying...

3. Wanted: Linux programmer for small job (few hours work)

4. Fix suspend with pccardd running

5. HELP WANTED: Open Source Consultant Programmer wanted for quick project

6. grep problem

7. Linux application programmers wanted

8. How to configure a Font Server on AIX 4.3.2

9. Linux GUI---Programmers wanted---

10. Wanted -- Programmer -- TCP applications for Linux

11. Linux application programmers wanted

12. Linux/BSDI programmers wanted US-FL-Miami

13. Very Experience C programmer wants to contribute to the Linux development effort