Sendmail keeps asking for smail!!??

Sendmail keeps asking for smail!!??

Post by t.. » Thu, 29 Dec 1994 15:17:06



Hi.
        We're still scratching our heads as to why, after replacing smail  
with sendmail 8.6.9, MUA's such as elm and pine keep asking for  
/etc/smail; which we've ultimately had to ln -s in order to keep the MUA's  
happy.  Everything works otherwise.  But is there a system wide file or  
something that makes sendmail 'pine' away for smail? ;-)  Thanks to the  
wise ones who can help us..
 
 
 

Sendmail keeps asking for smail!!??

Post by Al Longye » Thu, 29 Dec 1994 23:04:52



>    We're still scratching our heads as to why, after replacing smail  
>with sendmail 8.6.9, MUA's such as elm and pine keep asking for  
>/etc/smail; which we've ultimately had to ln -s in order to keep the MUA's  
>happy.  Everything works otherwise.  But is there a system wide file or  
>something that makes sendmail 'pine' away for smail? ;-)  Thanks to the  
>wise ones who can help us..

The MUA programs normally run sendmail from /usr/lib/sendmail. Is this
a symbolic link to smail?

--


 
 
 

Sendmail keeps asking for smail!!??

Post by Ted Okad » Fri, 30 Dec 1994 00:56:51



> Hi.
>    We're still scratching our heads as to why, after replacing smail  
> with sendmail 8.6.9, MUA's such as elm and pine keep asking for  
> /etc/smail; which we've ultimately had to ln -s in order to keep the  
MUA's  
> happy.  Everything works otherwise.  But is there a system wide file or  
> something that makes sendmail 'pine' away for smail? ;-)  Thanks to the  
> wise ones who can help us..

BTW, we also removed all references to smail in the file system and  
changed all the symlinks all the way through including /etc/,  
/usr/sbin,/usr/lib, pretty much wherever we could find them.

Still puzzeled tho..

 
 
 

Sendmail keeps asking for smail!!??

Post by Eric Wampn » Fri, 30 Dec 1994 21:51:20



: > Hi.
: >  We're still scratching our heads as to why, after replacing smail  
: > with sendmail 8.6.9, MUA's such as elm and pine keep asking for  
: > /etc/smail; which we've ultimately had to ln -s in order to keep the  
: MUA's  
: > happy.  Everything works otherwise.  But is there a system wide file or  
: > something that makes sendmail 'pine' away for smail? ;-)  Thanks to the  
: > wise ones who can help us..

: BTW, we also removed all references to smail in the file system and  
: changed all the symlinks all the way through including /etc/,  
: /usr/sbin,/usr/lib, pretty much wherever we could find them.

: Still puzzeled tho..

Most probably the binaries were compiled to use smail, which is a bad
idea IMHO.

sendmail and smail act exactly alike as far as I know, so you shouldn't
have had any problems. My system was set up for sendmail, and I replaced
it with smail, /usr/lib/sendmail is linked to smail.

eric

 
 
 

Sendmail keeps asking for smail!!??

Post by Ted Okad » Sun, 01 Jan 1995 15:07:02


To Eric and all..

        Thanks for the analysis and it makes good sense!....


Quote:Wampner) writes:  -
> sendmail and smail act exactly alike as far as I know, so you shouldn't
> have had any problems. My system was set up for sendmail, and I
> replaced it with smail, /usr/lib/sendmail is linked to smail.

> eric

Thanks again...c.o.l.h, the best tech support at any price!

ted

---
 \ o /  _ o        __|    \ /     |__        o _  \ o /   o
   |     /\   __\o   \o    |    o/    o/__   /\     |    /|\
./.\...|.\../).|....(.\../o\../.)....|..(\../.|.../.\.../.\.
Ted Okada
Director
Washington Bureau
Food For The Hungry Int'l

---

---
ftp://ftp.fh.org for latest files
---
Help Africa's Children--Call Food For The Hungry 1-800-2HUNGER
---

 
 
 

Sendmail keeps asking for smail!!??

Post by Ted Okad » Sun, 01 Jan 1995 15:07:16


To Eric and all..

        Thanks for the analysis and it makes good sense!....


Quote:Wampner) writes:  -
> sendmail and smail act exactly alike as far as I know, so you shouldn't
> have had any problems. My system was set up for sendmail, and I
> replaced it with smail, /usr/lib/sendmail is linked to smail.

> eric

Thanks again...c.o.l.h, the best tech support at any price!

ted

---
 \ o /  _ o        __|    \ /     |__        o _  \ o /   o
   |     /\   __\o   \o    |    o/    o/__   /\     |    /|\
./.\...|.\../).|....(.\../o\../.)....|..(\../.|.../.\.../.\.
Ted Okada
Director
Washington Bureau
Food For The Hungry Int'l

---

---
ftp://ftp.fh.org for latest files
---
Help Africa's Children--Call Food For The Hungry 1-800-2HUNGER
---

 
 
 

Sendmail keeps asking for smail!!??

Post by Ted Okad » Sun, 01 Jan 1995 15:09:31


Eric and all..

        Thanks for *all* the help!!  c.o.l.h, the best tech support at any  
price!


writes:

Quote:

> Most probably the binaries were compiled to use smail, which is
> a bad idea IMHO.

> sendmail and smail act exactly alike as far as I know, so you
> shouldn't have had any problems. My system was set up for sendmail,
> and I replaced it with smail, /usr/lib/sendmail is linked to
> smail.

> eric

cheers

ted

---
 \ o /  _ o        __|    \ /     |__        o _  \ o /   o
   |     /\   __\o   \o    |    o/    o/__   /\     |    /|\
./.\...|.\../).|....(.\../o\../.)....|..(\../.|.../.\.../.\.
Ted Okada
Director
Washington Bureau
Food For The Hungry Int'l

---

---
ftp://ftp.fh.org for latest files
---
Help Africa's Children--Call Food For The Hungry 1-800-2HUNGER
---

 
 
 

1. mail daemon: smail, sendmail+IDA 5.6.x, Sendmail 8.6.4, umail

Hi,

Could someone explain some pros and cons on using Sendmail vs
smail or others? I'm using smail with Linux, it works ok so far. But
have heard other saying sendmail is good *and* easy (yet I've read some
posts comp.mail.sendmail about problems...)

Should I switch to it? Or follow the universal golden rule:

        "If it ain't break, dont' fix it."

Thanks.
Sams

2. S3 86C366 Chip?

3. Sendmail, smail, and pine

4. Mouse freeze in X

5. Which: sendmail, smail, fetchmail,...?

6. Change ODM attributes

7. Smail/Sendmail problem

8. Cannot telnet to port of my own server

9. Sendmail or smail?

10. HELP trying to replace msmail with smail or sendmail?

11. switching from smail to sendmail

12. smail vs sendmail WAS: SMTP doesn't work

13. Why Smail? Why not Sendmail?