HELP: Boot console messages fly by

Post by Zenon Fortu » Thu, 07 Apr 1994 22:35:53

>I'm trying to configure my CDROM device and get all sorts of error messages
>on console during booting. The ones I'm interested in fly right off the screen.
>Is there a way to capture those? CNTRL-S/CNTRL-Q doesn't seem to work on boot up
>yet.

>--

1. Use "Shift Page-Up/Page-Down" to jump/scroll a few pages. It works for
   the virtual consoles, but if you switch to another one, then after coming
   back the past text is lost.

2. Type "dmesg" - it should extract the messages stored in the kernel

        Zenon.

Post by Armin Kitt » Fri, 08 Apr 1994 00:46:54

I'm trying to configure my CDROM device and get all sorts of error messages
on console during booting. The ones I'm interested in fly right off the screen.
Is there a way to capture those? CNTRL-S/CNTRL-Q doesn't seem to work on boot up
yet.

GTE Laboratories M/S 40                         phone: (617)466-4232
40 Sylvan Road                                  fax:   (617)890-9320
Waltham, MA 02254

Post by Hal N. Broo » Fri, 08 Apr 1994 02:02:47

>I'm trying to configure my CDROM device and get all sorts of error messages
>on console during booting. The ones I'm interested in fly right off the screen.
>Is there a way to capture those? CNTRL-S/CNTRL-Q doesn't seem to work on boot up
>yet.

This might be a FAQ.  Use the dmesg utility, which is available in
util-linux-1.5.* on ftp sites.  Or just use shift-pageup if virtual
console scrolling is working.

-hal

Post by Tom Minch » Fri, 08 Apr 1994 12:40:29

>I'm trying to configure my CDROM device and get all sorts of error messages
>on console during booting. The ones I'm interested in fly right off the screen.
>Is there a way to capture those? CNTRL-S/CNTRL-Q doesn't seem to work on boot up

You can use the 'dmesg' command that shows all the boot messages. For example,
dmesg | more

Tom

--
Tom

1. Ignoring specific boot messages / boot message redirection??

Hi everyone,

I have written a program that I call from a shell script which is
placed in /etc/rc2.d . This script calls another script which loads a
driver using the add_drv command. This is on Solaris 8.

Thing is, the driver is evaluation only - that's ok I am using it for
a really really basic function - it's just it prints a "please
register/purchase me" to the screen at boot:

"drvr: [ID 513294 kern.notice] Driver: This is an unregistered copy.
The driver will work for the next 60 minutes. To register please
contact..."

I thought in the calling script, I could just redirect output to
/dev/null yet this doesn't work. What is the driver writing to on
load? Is it the standard output? Is there a way to just
ignore/redirect this message so that at boot it is not displayed?

Can I do it by mucking around with syslog.conf? Although I would still
like to log kern.notice messages...

Any help in this matter will be appreciated...

Damien.

2. Make installworld fails the initial copy

3. how to see console messages during boot

4. Mail...

5. System won't boot: Error message can't get /dev/console for controlling terminal

6. Netnews and Mail Re: Need help with DNS

7. boot messages on monitor and serial console

8. Modem problem in debian linux

9. Console boot messages

10. outputting the boot messages on the console to a printer

11. Bull DPX/20 won't boot - no messages on console

12. e6000 boot error the console message stop at hotplug trigger test

13. Console boot messages