disable sound, how?

Post by jumpstation.co.u » Mon, 26 Nov 2001 04:30:09

in a nut shell; I had pcmcia working, setup sound and now it does not.

full details;

hi,

I am running debian 2.2.18 on a compaq lte 5000.

It has no CDROM drive so I use a pcmcia external which has worked from day
one with no configuration.
I have spent sometime getting a pcmcia compact flash card to work and
adventualy it mounted fine as vfat.

Since then I have got sound working as a soundblaster compatable.
works fine but now the pcmcia CDROM and compaq flash. can not be mounted.
(note: a pcmcia 3com network card never has any problems.)

When inserting either CDROM or the flash into the PCMCIA slot I get one high
beep and then one low beep and NO futher
information as aposed to the normal two high beeps and a read out of the
type of card on the console.
when running "cardctl ident" both devices are recognised as they should be
but i can not mount them. (i tried one at a time)
mount gives an error about /dev/hdc being not recognised as a block device
and a comment "(maybe 'insmod driver')".

lsmod clearly lists all the correct pcmcia bits.
ds
i82365
pcmcia_core

my guess is that the PCMCIA used to use irq 5 (or some other resource) and
now the sound card has taken that and will not give it back.

cat /proc/interrupts
0  timer
1  keyboard
2  cascade
5  sound blaster
8  rtc
12 ps/2 mouse
13 flpu
14 ide

and I exclude 3,4,5,7 in /etc/pcmcia/config.opts

The default settings in config.opts (which worked previously) are

include port 0x100-0x4ff, port 0x800-0x8ff, port 0xc00-0xcff

include memory 0xc0000-oxfffff
include memory 0xa0000000-0xa0ffffff, memory 0x60000000-0x60ffffff

I tried excluding the "port 0x100-0x4ff" as the SB uses 220 to no avail.

I tried to remove all traces of the sound via
rmmod sb
rmmod uart401
rmmod sound
rmmod soundcore
rmmod soundlow

and although this clears the /proc/interrupts 5 still no luck

What else could be holding sound settings that are conflicting with the
PCMCIA stuff ?

what do ide block devices mounted from PCMCIA normal use for irqs ?

can i tell the soundblaster to use a different irq ?

any ideas ?

1. How do I disable sound in KDE

How do I disable the sound of my KDE environment?  If I'm
logged in via an X terminal, I don't want the actual machine,
which is on somebody else's desk, to make noises every time
I do something.
Actually, it's not making noise now.  It's getting permission
denied errors every time it tries and dumping them to stderr,
which is also annoying.
I just want it to stop trying, but I can't find any place to set
sounds.

--
 -- Dave Williss
------

2. Trouble with status report for Apache

3. Disable Sound in Wabi

4. Nested .htpasswd and .nsconfig files not working in 3.6!

5. Disabling Sound Card?

6. RedHat 5 and BRU backup facility

7. disabling sound in Solaris 5.6?

8. pb installing rh52 linux on scsi jaz drive

9. How to DISable sound on Gnome?

10. disable sound drivers loading (isapnp) in kernel 2.4? old ps/2 mouse problem

11. Two sound boards, how I disable on mobo sound???

12. How to disable startup and shutdown sounds?

13. Disabling integrated sound card on AST 9304