Q: Intel Ether Express 16 and Linux ?

Post by Kevin J Butl » Fri, 10 Dec 1993 10:29:01

We'd like to run Linux w/ networking on one of the BYU CS labs, and the
machines have Intel Ether Express 16 cards.

On boot up, the SLS Linux boot disk reports it cannot find any ethernet
device.

Are these cards supported?  Are they compatible with a supported card?
Or do we get to write drivers?  (Ouch.)

Any help would be appreciated.  Please mail to me, and if there are

Thanks!
kb

| Kevin Butler  |  Brigham Young University  |  (just a student...  ;-) |
--

This is a sample .sig file!

Q: Intel Ether Express 16 and Linux ?

Post by Donald J. Beck » Sat, 11 Dec 1993 12:46:27

Quote:>We'd like to run Linux w/ networking on one of the BYU CS labs, and the
>machines have Intel Ether Express 16 cards.

My condolences.

Quote:>Are these cards supported?  Are they compatible with a supported card?
>Or do we get to write drivers?  (Ouch.)

The Intel EtherExpress card isn't compatible with anything else.  Only an
Intel-trained designer could come with something as weird as mapping little
chunks of packet buffer memory into the I/O space.

It took me over a week to write the EE driver, and I've spent several days
since then trying to track down a remaining bug.  If you don't mind living
with an occasional kernel message, the driver is silently included in pl14.
And if you get especially ambitious you might even try tracking down the
problem...

--

IDA Supercomputing Research Center
17100 Science Drive, Bowie MD 20715                        301-805-7482

Post by Mel Beckm » Thu, 16 Dec 1993 14:55:42

>The Intel EtherExpress card isn't compatible with anything else.  Only an
>Intel-trained designer could come with something as weird as mapping little
>chunks of packet buffer memory into the I/O space.

>It took me over a week to write the EE driver, and I've spent several days
>since then trying to track down a remaining bug.  If you don't mind living
>with an occasional kernel message, the driver is silently included in pl14.
>And if you get especially ambitious you might even try tracking down the
>problem...

Don,

  I've downloaded a copy of eexpress.c from ftp.super.org. The version
string says eexpress.c:v0.06 -- is this the latest?  I don't see
instructions on how to install the thing; if it's not too difficult, could
you post the cc command and tell me where it goes and how to hook it in?  If
that's a pain, is there an easy way to install the .14 distribution? I'm
using the Ygg Fall '93 CD (very nice!) which is unfortunately .13, not .14
linux. I'm a Sun & AIX hacker and this is my first linux experience. But I
got the thing installed on my Gateway 4DX2 66V in about an hour, so I'm
rarin to get the thing on my 'net.
Looks like very nice work in eexpress.c! Thanks!

  -mel

1. Intel Ether Express 16 ?

hi,
I have this card (10base2 cabling support only). Is this card supported?
In the hardware howto it talks about an ether express card but even
though I rebuilt a kernel with it, it didn't recognize my card.

thanks

Muzaffer

standard disclaimer

2. SCO finally commits suicide

3. 2 Intel Ether Express 16 Cards?

4. Fix socket.c compilation failure when CONFIG_NET=n

5. Intel Ether Express 16 !!!

6. PPPD Hangs....

7. Intel Ether Express 16: Death From Above

8. New New

9. Intel Ether Express PRO/10, Sound Blaster 16 (PnP devices)

10. 2 Intel Ether Express 16 Cards?

11. Ether Express 16 Driver supporting Multicasting???

12. Ether Express 16

13. ether express 16 and 2.2.0