1. Using SUN CD ROM (SONY CD-ROM) with Ultri
Basically, the subject line says it all. For various reasons, I don't want
to do backups as root, but rather as a user who's in the "operator" group.
[And yes, I know that the "operator" gid for Ultrix (28) != SunOS "operator"
gid (5). :( ] The "oper" accounts have been identically entered into both
machines' /etc/passwd files, to minimize pilot error.
So I have user "oper", common UID=99, GID=28 (Ultrix 4.x "operator"), and GID=5
(SunOS 4.x "operator"). I try invoking rdump from the Ultrix 4.[1-3] boxes to
the Sun 4.x tape server:
% /bin/rdump 0odsBf 54000 6000 126 dat_host:/dev/rst5 /dev/rrz0a
Now, when I add to the Ultrix machine's hostname to the Sun's ---> /.rhosts <---
file (never mind the dump user is NOT root!), rdump goes on its merry way...
You'd (I'd) think that putting the Ultrix hostname in ~oper/.rhosts on the
Sun (to enable the connection) would do the trick, but that gets me nowhere:
still "Permission denied."
What is going on!? I have the same sort of arrangement between the Sun tape
server and the RS/6000's and Solaris boxes on the network, and that setup
works fine for them... There seems to be some breakdown in the connection
negotiation step between the Ultrix boxes and the Sun. Still, I don't under-
stand why that brokenness wouldn't show up also for the other manufacturers.
(In case it isn't obvious, my other Sun-to-Sun dumps are working fine in
It sure looks like a security/permissions issue -- obviously, when I have the
Sun's /.rhosts file including the Ultrix hostname(s), rdump works for the root
user as well. However, this defeats my intent of disallowing (easy) network
root access to the tape server, so this is not a player as a solution.
Can somebody clue me in please?
#define DISCLAIMER "I don't even represent myself, much less anyone else!"
2. problem Comtrol Rocket 550 on Redhat 7.3
3. Unable to share CD-ROM using NFS
4. /dev/modem is locked ?
5. Problem in using PAS16 + Chinon cd-rom CDS-535
6. Afterstep's SloppyFocus
7. Using Orchid CDS-3110 CD-ROM with Linux..
8. Common Log Analysis - info request
9. Problems using cdrecord sd to mount CD-R as CD-ROM
10. HELP: Install Slackware 3.0 from CD using 6x Creative Labs CD-ROM
11. problem reading cd - sco install using ATAPI cd-rom drive
12. CD-ROM mount needs source <--> source needs CD-ROM mount
13. CD-ROM driver for Turtle Beach/Funai 6X CD-ROM?