Using a CD ROM over NFS ?

Post by Russell Leigh Smi » Sat, 28 May 1994 08:36:34

I want to install Linux on my machine from CD ROM, but
unfortunately the nearest CD ROM drive is in another machine.
The two machines are connected by Ethernet, so I was wondering
if I could use the SOSS program (an NFS server that runs under
DOS) to "export" the CD ROM drive over the network, and then
install Linux via NFS. There are several potential problems with
this:

  * Can Linux be installed via NFS successfully? I have heard
    that it is painfully diffiult.

  * The CD ROMS available are "ISO-9660 with Rock Ridge extensions".
    I think that this means the files are unavailable to MS DOS
    (because of long filenames etc). So will SOSS work at all?

Thanks in advance for your help.

  Department of Electrical & Electronic Engineering.
  University of Auckland, New Zealand.

Using a CD ROM over NFS ?

Post by Michael Griffi » Sun, 29 May 1994 03:03:04

Quote:>I want to install Linux on my machine from CD ROM, but
>unfortunately the nearest CD ROM drive is in another machine.
>The two machines are connected by Ethernet, so I was wondering
>if I could use the SOSS program (an NFS server that runs under
>DOS) to "export" the CD ROM drive over the network, and then
>install Linux via NFS. There are several potential problems with
>this:

>  * Can Linux be installed via NFS successfully? I have heard
>    that it is painfully diffiult.

It isn't too bad with the new Slackware.

Quote:>  * The CD ROMS available are "ISO-9660 with Rock Ridge extensions".
>    I think that this means the files are unavailable to MS DOS
>    (because of long filenames etc). So will SOSS work at all?

Rock Ridge filesystems can be read by any ISO 9660 driver.  If
the driver doesn't support RR extensions, the files will not
have Un*x style filenames and deep directories.
--

Department of Computer Science
University of California, Riverside

Using a CD ROM over NFS ?

Post by Byron A Je » Sun, 29 May 1994 09:15:14

Quote:>I want to install Linux on my machine from CD ROM, but
>unfortunately the nearest CD ROM drive is in another machine.
>The two machines are connected by Ethernet, so I was wondering
>if I could use the SOSS program (an NFS server that runs under
>DOS) to "export" the CD ROM drive over the network, and then
>install Linux via NFS. There are several potential problems with
>this:

>  * Can Linux be installed via NFS successfully? I have heard
>    that it is painfully diffiult.

That's the only way I install. The biggest problem is making sure that your
network is configured properly.

Quote:

>  * The CD ROMS available are "ISO-9660 with Rock Ridge extensions".
>    I think that this means the files are unavailable to MS DOS
>    (because of long filenames etc). So will SOSS work at all?

Let me suggest another idea: Boot Linux via floppy on the other machine
if it's a 386 or better. Use the slackware cd or cdscsi boot disks. Hope
that it picks up the CDROM. If it does then what you can do is boot Linux
on the machine with the CDROM, mount the CDROM, then use NFS to export it.
You'll get all the RR extensions and deep directories and all the other
goodies.

It's worth a shot.

Hope this helps.

BTW I have done about 4 installation from a CDROM over the net. The host
machine has been a Sun however.

BAJ
--
---
Another random extraction from the mental bit stream of...

1. Using SUN CD ROM (SONY CD-ROM) with Ultri

Basically, the subject line says it all.  For various reasons, I don't want
to do backups as root, but rather as a user who's in the "operator" group.
[And yes, I know that the "operator" gid for Ultrix (28) != SunOS "operator"
gid (5). :( ]  The "oper" accounts have been identically entered into both
machines' /etc/passwd files, to minimize pilot error.

So I have user "oper", common UID=99, GID=28 (Ultrix 4.x "operator"), and GID=5
(SunOS 4.x "operator").  I try invoking rdump from the Ultrix 4.[1-3] boxes to
the Sun 4.x tape server:

% /bin/rdump 0odsBf 54000 6000 126 dat_host:/dev/rst5 /dev/rrz0a

and...

Permission denied.

ARRRGGGHHH!!!

Now, when I add to the Ultrix machine's hostname to the Sun's ---> /.rhosts <---
file (never mind the dump user is NOT root!), rdump goes on its merry way...
You'd (I'd) think that putting the Ultrix hostname in ~oper/.rhosts on the
Sun (to enable the connection) would do the trick, but that gets me nowhere:
still "Permission denied."

What is going on!?  I have the same sort of arrangement between the Sun tape
server and the RS/6000's and Solaris boxes on the network, and that setup
works fine for them... There seems to be some breakdown in the connection
negotiation step between the Ultrix boxes and the Sun.  Still, I don't under-
stand why that brokenness wouldn't show up also for the other manufacturers.
(In case it isn't obvious, my other Sun-to-Sun dumps are working fine in
this arrangement.)

It sure looks like a security/permissions issue -- obviously, when I have the
Sun's /.rhosts file including the Ultrix hostname(s), rdump works for the root
user as well.  However, this defeats my intent of disallowing (easy) network
root access to the tape server, so this is not a player as a solution.

Can somebody clue me in please?

TIA,

-Tim

---
#define DISCLAIMER "I don't even represent myself, much less anyone else!"

2. problem Comtrol Rocket 550 on Redhat 7.3

3. Unable to share CD-ROM using NFS

4. /dev/modem is locked ?

5. Problem in using PAS16 + Chinon cd-rom CDS-535

6. Afterstep's SloppyFocus

7. Using Orchid CDS-3110 CD-ROM with Linux..

8. Common Log Analysis - info request

9. Problems using cdrecord sd to mount CD-R as CD-ROM

10. HELP: Install Slackware 3.0 from CD using 6x Creative Labs CD-ROM

11. problem reading cd - sco install using ATAPI cd-rom drive

12. CD-ROM mount needs source <--> source needs CD-ROM mount

13. CD-ROM driver for Turtle Beach/Funai 6X CD-ROM?