1. tinyX gives "xinit: Unknown error (errno 0): Client error." error and dies
I am trying to set up tinyX on a system I have at home. The system is
a 386SX/16 with 8 megs of RAM, 12 megs of swap space, and around 160
megs of hard drive space. It has a generic 256K video card and a Dell
13 inch monitor. (Not much of a system, I know, but I got it for
free). When I try to start up tinyX, the X server starts up (I see the
dithered background with the X cursor), and then it dies. Below is the
output it produces on the console as it is starting and dying:
Script started on Sun Oct 1 14:31:24 1995
XFree86 Version 2.0 / X Window System
(protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 5000)
Operating System: Linux
VGA16: server for 4-bit colour VGA (Patchlevel 0):
(using VT number 9)
(**) stands for supplied, (--) stands for probed/default values
(**) Mouse: type: Microsoft, device: /dev/ttyS0, baudrate: 1200
(**) FontPath set to "/usr/X386/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
(--) VGA16: chipset: generic
(--) VGA16: videoram: 256k (using 256k)
(--) VGA16: clocks: 25.50 28.32 35.50 0.00
(--) VGA16: Maximum allowed dot-clock: 90MHz
(**) VGA16: Mode "640x480": mode clock = 28.322, clock used = 28.322
(**) VGA16: Virtual resolution set to 800x600
waiting for X server to shut down
xinit: Unknown error (errno 0): Client error.
Does anyone have any idea what is causing it to die like this?
Suggestions are greatly appreciated. Obviously it would be better if I
were running on a faster machine, but I can't afford to upgrade just
yet, so if anyone can suggest how to get this working in the meantime,
I would be most grateful.
Matthew Cravit, | "Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum
DePaul University, Chicago IL | soli proscripti catapultas haberunt."
2. HP 7000 cd writer
3. Why "xinit: Unknown error (errno 0): Client error."?
4. Objcopy Relocation for Binary Format File
5. What's "Unknown error (errno 0): Client error"
6. Moused console & X
7. xinit: Unknown Error? Why?
8. Oracle 7.3 and AIX 4.3.3
9. Install error on G3: "error unpacking archive: unknown error"
10. errno = 0 = unknown error
11. cpio: I/O error on output, errno 5, I/O error
12. XView warning: Notifier error: Unknown client
13. dip error "unknown server error"