'xdm' & 'more' problems, what was the answer again?

'xdm' & 'more' problems, what was the answer again?

Post by Dan Min » Wed, 27 Jul 1994 03:37:17

Some time ago, a person observed that more would 'die' in xterms
running from a XDM controlled display.  Well, I'm having that
problem too and can't remember his solution.

But I do know where the problem is in more:

In readch(), the read(2, &ch, 1) is immediately returning
with a result of 0 [implies EOF], but file descriptor 2 is stderr,
and I *know* there isn't an EOF condition there.  [Even used
feof to confirm it].  Obviously, an assumption isn't "true" under
xdm.  Anyone remember the solution to this problem?

        Thanks,
                Dan

--

        "The longer I stare at this screen; the blanker it gets."
                                                Linux: try it, you'll like.

Post by Oliver M » Wed, 27 Jul 1994 17:23:17

|> Some time ago, a person observed that more would 'die' in xterms
|> running from a XDM controlled display.  Well, I'm having that
|> problem too and can't remember his solution.

For me "more" works in xterms when I change the terminal line
settings with the command "stty sane".
Now I have the line stty sane in my /etc/login, which is read
whenever an xterm is started with the -ls option. Now "more" works
fine.

Hope this helps,

Oliver

1. Difference between 'startx', 'xdm', and 'xinit' ?

Hi, I have just installed Debian and installed several xwindow servers
not knowing which one I should install.  The one that seems to be
defaulted is XF86...something(i'm at work and can not remeber exactly
what) , however it said when I configured it(incorrectly of  course)
that I could start xwindows by typing one fo the three commands
above(subject line).

What is the difference between them ? And does anyone suggest an xserver
that I should be using ?

I have a Sony Trinitron 17"(Dell manufactured), Diamond Fire GL 100 Pro
with 8MB.  Also, if anyone could send me a config file to get me started
I would really appreciate it :)

Thanks,

Carey

  Carey_Bingham.vcf
< 1K Download

2. WinNT admin from Linux?

3. What is 'stty', 'term' & 'tty'

4. Participating government programmers

5. Want bash '&' to behave like csh '&'

6. set the number of serial ports

7. Can I use same modem to 'diald' out and to 'pap' answer?

8. 3c509 Etherlink III drivers

9. Q : Digital Unix 4.0 login problem : 'No directory!' & 'No shell!'

10. Unix's 'rz' & 'sz'

11. cvsup doesn't like tags 'ports-all' & 'doc-all'

12. Simple 'sed', 'awk', 'cut' problem

13. Help: problems with 'w', 'who' and 'last'