Problems with using Seyon

Post by K. Sh » Fri, 24 Sep 1993 12:29:20

Hello,

When I first set up Linux, about 2 months ago, I was able to run Seyon
(version 2.1) with my modem to connect to mu University's machine. I don't
use my modem very often, as even local calls here in the UK is too
expensive. Anyway, some time later, I tried Seyon again, and it no longer
works -- the window comes up OK, but once I choose to call a number, or to
try to set the baud rate, the program dies, giving me the message that it
has received signal 11. This happens with both the version of Seyon that
came with Slackware, and the version I downloaded from Sunsite.

The only thing that I can think of which may have caused the problem is
that I think I have upgraded the kernel from pl11 to pl12.

Checking the FAQ that came with the Seyon source, it suggested the problem
is because I have outdated libraries. However, lld shows that my libraries
are *newer* than what the FAQ say I should have. In any case, I tried
compiling Seyon myself, and I got exactly the same problem with the new
executable.

I am using Slackware 1.02 (I think, the version before the current one),
with pl12 kernel (with patch). I am running Linux on a 486DX33, and using a
DSI Scout Plus modem. When I do 'ldd seyon' I get the following:

        /libXaw.so.3 (DLL Jump 3.0pl1)
        /libXt.so.3 (DLL Jump 3.0pl1)
        /libX11.so.3 (DLL Jump 3.0pl1)
        libc.so.4 (DLL Jump 4.4pl1)

Can anyone help me to solve this problem please? I am able to connect using
kermit, but this is not nearly as nice, and is unable to connect at the
highest speed supported by the University's modem.

Please reply by e-mail if possible. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Kish Shen
Dept. of Computer Science
University of Bristol

Problems with using Seyon

Post by Wolfgang Thi » Sat, 25 Sep 1993 03:13:36

Quote:>Hello,
>When I first set up Linux, about 2 months ago, I was able to run Seyon
>(version 2.1) with my modem to connect to mu University's machine. I don't
>use my modem very often, as even local calls here in the UK is too
>expensive. Anyway, some time later, I tried Seyon again, and it no longer
>works -- the window comes up OK, but once I choose to call a number, or to
>try to set the baud rate, the program dies, giving me the message that it
>has received signal 11. This happens with both the version of Seyon that
>came with Slackware, and the version I downloaded from Sunsite.
>The only thing that I can think of which may have caused the problem is
>that I think I have upgraded the kernel from pl11 to pl12.

Just an idea: Did you change your /etc/termcap? There are many pro-
grams (like BSD telnet) that do not like long termcap entries. They
usually have a buffersize of 1024, but this is not enough. (It took
quite a time until I found out, why X-terms  and window manager died!).
        Wolfgang

BTW, I am writing this in a trsh under seyon -> modem -> mainframe -> office
     linux machine.